Rebreather fatality list, what’s happened to it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Ouroboros

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Occasionally I stray on to the Deep life rebreather fatality database and the last couple of times I’ve tried it it’s pretty much unavailable and if I can get on there is out of date by a couple of years, anyone know what the story is?
Possibly an opening for someone to do a “Deceased deep life rebreather fatality database” (sorry)
Always found it informative…

Try here?

Sad and sobering read. The commentary is highly opinionated, but there are potential lessons and cautions to consider for those who can stand to read it.

Try here?

Sad and sobering read. The commentary is highly opinionated, but there are potential lessons and cautions to consider for those who can stand to read it.
A big chunk of it was complete fabrication but hey it was dramatic reading to support the marketing of a CCR that still doesn't exist despite a couple $100k in deposits taken. Brad will be along shortly to mansplain to us all.

It does focus way too much on design features and mechanics, and accuse nearly every rebreather design as fatally and deliberately faulty. Partly why it is hard to read.

But as someone who has actually experienced water-blocked sensors before...

How likely is it that something better will come? Is there any other useful public/annual accident summary and analysis for rebreather diving?

There is a tough line to walk between respect/acceptance of privacy, versus wanting to know what happened and how to avoid it.

Actual information (e.g. dive logs & sensor data) are almost never made public, ever.
Though someone did seem to share that in the case of the Stewart/Sotis incident here recently.

Tbh there’s 5 deaths on there that I do know about quite intimately and they are pretty accurately described, there’s also 1 missing that I know about but I’m not going in to that,,,
The one thing that I always thought was quite sobering is when you look at some of the depths (both ends of the scale) and some of the familiar names… rip.

From my reading of the Australian ones I am personally aware of, the information is basically as it happened, but appears to mostly have come from media reports. As such, is scant or missing information that we subsequently learnt from people on the dives etc.

1. Never go solo rebreather diving: it is not Open Circuit so the diver is unaware of exactly when a rebreather fails.

Yeeaahhh???

1. Pre-breathe for at least 5 minutes to check your PPO2 is under control and CO2 scrubber is working,

Yeeaahhh???

1. Never go solo rebreather diving: it is not Open Circuit so the diver is unaware of exactly when a rebreather fails.

Yeeaahhh???

1. Pre-breathe for at least 5 minutes to check your PPO2 is under control and CO2 scrubber is working,

Yeeaahhh???
Must. Have. A. Buddy. At. All. Times.
Cannot. Think. For. Oneself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom