Rebreather Discussion from Brockville Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOB @ 40M on air? Who cares?? It costs me about $3.00 to solve that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Entertain me.

How do you solve the problem of a unit with a WOB of 5 j/l at 40 meters on Air (as your Diluent gas) when it is being kept secret that the unit has a WOB of 5 j/l at 40 meters on Air (as your Diluent gas)?

Just an example to put some numbers down.

Last edited:
WOB @ 40M on air? Who cares?? It costs me about $3.00 to solve that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hmm, guess I missed that post. What's this "air" you speak of? Do people put this "air" into their rebreathers? That seems silly to me. Mine gets filled with 10/50 Trimix most dives.

Hilarious :)

Hmm, guess I missed that post. What's this "air" you speak of? Do people put this "air" into their rebreathers? That seems silly to me. Mine gets filled with 10/50 Trimix most dives.

We all start with Air Diluent as part of our Mod. 1 training (no more, no less, the same as those who do the PADI Tec Rec training).

Did you start your rebreather diving with Air Diluent, or Trimix?

Just curious here but do you ever find yourself diving to 120ft max depth with that diluent of 10/50?

Edit clarification: I do not have a hypoxia trimix cert but I have noticed two differing groups of thought, one that believes 10/50 in shallower depth is acceptable and another who do not. I wanted to see which side of that discussion you were on.

Thanks
Garth

Just curious here but do you ever find yourself diving to 120ft max depth with that diluent of 10/50?

Edit clarification: I do not have a hypoxia trimix cert but I have noticed two differing groups of thought, one that believes 10/50 in shallower depth is acceptable and another who do not. I wanted to see which side of that discussion you were on.

Thanks
Garth

Yes, in fact, just recently I dove to a max depth of 30' with 10/50. A CCR mixes the perfect mix in real time for every step of the dive. 10/50 breathes like a dream from 1' -300' without issue in my opinion. Bear in mind that it's 10/50 diluent, but what's in the loop is actually more oxygen rich at shallower depths. The only problem might be if I had a total O2 failure at 15' or shallower in the loop and had nothing in the loop but a mix that wouldn't sustain life. But, since I can plug in offboard diluent of 30% or 100% O2, or I can just pick up my bailout regulator, I really don't see this as a problem.

Thank you for responding so promptly. Do you have a BOV? Do you have the ADV active on your Revo?

I do not have a BOV. I do have an active ADV, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I considered a BOV, but I am VERY diligent on watching my breathing patterns. If it starts to escalate even a little, I'll bailout.

I do not have a BOV. I do have an active ADV, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I considered a BOV, but I am VERY diligent on watching my breathing patterns. If it starts to escalate even a little, I'll bailout.

Without the ability to isolate the ADV on the rEvo I certainly would be too concerned to dive 10/50 diluent in 30ft of water as it isn't necessary and could potentially be fatal but that is just my opinion and the risk that I am willing to take especially on a rebreather.

It can certainly be done and with someone who has a lot of skill and ability it could be done safely.

I hope you respect my differing opinion and I dont mean to disrespect at all. A few of my dive buddies do it frequently. It is such a personal preference thing I presume as I have not been trimix trained yet but I don't think I will be persuaded otherwise once I do.

Garth

We all start with Air Diluent as part of our Mod. 1 training (no more, no less, the same as those who do the PADI Tec Rec training).

Did you start your rebreather diving with Air Diluent, or Trimix?
That is not true, and yes I did begin Mod 1 with mix. (And here's a secret, I'm not the only one...)

That is not true, and yes I did begin Mod 1 with mix. (And here's a secret, I'm not the only one...)

Interesting. How deep did you ever go during MOD1?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom