Rebreather book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's my opinion, anyway. It's prpbably the best compilation of RB info out there. When I first saw it I was pretty excited, until I realized that the Inspiration was not featured in there. That, considering it is the most sold civilian CCR really upset me, so much I didn't buy it. A few months later I met Jeff Bozanic on a boat trip to Catalina, with his Prism. :) First I saw of either one. Asked him point blank about his oversight, and it turned out that APD didn't want to be in the book. (Apearantly the manufacturers had to pay some money or other to be included as JB was financing the book partly with the ads etc.)

I'm still not happy about that, but I can live with it. Went into a local bookstore and bought ... directly from him, as one of the employees had just gotten his Dolphin certification from Jeff. So I walked away with a signed copy.

I like the book, very much. It's detailed, easy to understand, has just about all the info you could ask for. Many people complain about the ads, and the pre-/post dive part of the book taking up almost half of it. I don't mind. The ads give you places to look for more info, and the pre/post give you a good idea of how involved a certain unit is. The Dolphin's manual used to be available from Dräger online, but isn't anymore. The only company that still offers that is APD for their Inspiration. Download it and compare it to the data in the book, and you've got the currently available market pretty much covered.

From what I understand the book has become recommended reading by a lot of instructors and required by some. I recommend it to anybody intrested in the subject, along with Barsky's 'Simple Guide to Rebreathers".

For Madmole's opinion on the book (not as good as mine) you can check the book review on his website.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan!

I am a fairly new diver <70 dives, but am very confident/comfortable with my skills. I am continuing my diving education by taking more classes and am looking into the rebreather option for the future.

I am always a person to research things before just jumping in, so thanks for your input on the book..even though its already on the way..hehehe :)

I think the Dolphin is going to be my first rebreather...due to cost and the dives I plan on doing. No need to go any further for now.

Thanks again for your input.

Jason

I finished the Mastering the Rebreather book and I must say..I'll be reading it again sometime soon. Its good stuff for anyone who wants to learn more about rebreathers in general.

Sometimes I thought it was a little too in depth, on certain aspects, but I guess more is better than not enough.

If your wondering about rebreathers....this is a good book to start off with.

Jason

So far. It is a good book, even with the Inspiration missing. Glad you enjoyed it.

The other book I mentioned, Steve Barsky's "Simple Guide to Rebreathers" is a more general, less textbook kind of approach that will give the basics as well. Probably the easier and better book to get a general idea what RBs and RB diving are about.
:) Stefan

"Diving Beyond Your Limits Using Chicken Wire and Chewing Gum" by I.M.A. Corpse (get the revised edition with forward and introduction covering wills and estate planning by John Q. Deadguy).

Is that available as an audio book for us illiterate RB morons?

Seriously, O-ring, I 've read some of your posts and your profile. I was a bit suprised to see you're not still using a single stage reg. Guess some advances in technology are okay?

You seem to be better than some of the cheap shots you take. As you're into Krav Magna, one of the more progressive, and least resrictive martial art, maybe have a look at Bruce Lee's philosophy of life. Learn everything you can, keep what works for you and discard the rest ... . Not a bad philosophy, if your all important ego can't handle that at least leave us be. :rolleyes:

Stefan

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Is that available as an audio book for us illiterate RB morons?

Seriously, O-ring, I 've read some of your posts and your profile. I was a bit suprised to see you're not still using a single stage reg. Guess some advances in technology are okay?

You seem to be better than some of the cheap shots you take. As you're into Krav Magna, one of the more progressive, and least resrictive martial art, maybe have a look at Bruce Lee's philosophy of life. Learn everything you can, keep what works for you and discard the rest ... . Not a bad philosophy, if your all important ego can't handle that at least leave us be. :rolleyes:

Stefan
Shoot Stefan...I was just playing with you RB types a little...no harm intended.

No hard feelings, as I said, you seemed to be okay from what I remember from previous posts. Even if you don't like RBs. :wink:

Maybe I'm still testy from the weekend when some overegoed, undereducated DIR-newbe got in my face about RBs ... . :upset:

So playing right back, is your dislike of RBs based on the fear that the big kwana will beat you with his RB80 (now here's another one I'd like to have:D ) when he finds out your ego rivals his? :eek:

Stefan

I wasn't initially afraid of them until I noticed that Jepuskar and PK were getting into them...then I knew they should be avoided at all costs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom