Rebreather accident in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmsr1980

Reaction score
It happened today off a boat near Pompano Beach. The dive was a 60' reef dive. It was the second dive of the trip following a 140' wreck. The diver did not survive.

The rebreather was an Optima 2. The diver was a rebreather instructor from Northern Florida.

The cause of the accident is still being investigated by the Broward Sheriff, who impounded the rebrether unit for testing. Although unconfirmed, it is suspected that the diver suffered hypoxia. The accident is suspected of being caused by the diver failing to turn on his oxygen bottle, after having turned it off between dives.

Welcome to SB tmsr1980. Do post info as it becomes available.

It happened today off a boat near Pompano Beach. The dive was a 60' reef dive. It was the second dive of the trip following a 140' wreck. The diver did not survive.

The rebreather was an Optima 2. The diver was a rebreather instructor from Northern Florida.

The cause of the accident is still being investigated by the Broward Sheriff, who impounded the rebrether unit for testing. Although unconfirmed, it is suspected that the diver suffered hypoxia. The accident is suspected of being caused by the diver failing to turn on his oxygen bottle, after having turned it off between dives.
That is terrible news. Please keep us informed if you can.

Does the Optima 2 have an integrated computer with PO2 percent that would have alarmed because it was hypoxic on the first breath if the O2 valve were cut off? I understand that it is still under investigation. I am just trying to understand if that is how that particular rebreather operates.

My sincerest condolences to the family of the diver.

Does the Optima 2 have an integrated computer with PO2 percent that would have alarmed because it was hypoxic on the first breath if the O2 valve were cut off? I understand that it is still under investigation. I am just trying to understand if that is how that particular rebreather operates.

The optima is equipped with Hammerhead electronics which does incorporate deco information as well.
A rebreather diver is more concerned about PO2 not oxygen percent.
I once owned a Uwatec computer that beeped and squawked so often I just ignored the warnings. But none of that has anything to do with this thread.

Here's info on the Rebreather: Optima Rebreather

The accident is suspected of being caused by the diver failing to turn on his oxygen bottle, after having turned it off between dives.
Many times, the valves can roll off from movement on the dive boat. This is why a good pre-breath checklist should include "check O2 and Diluent valves" on it. I have had my valves roll off 3 times.
Does the Optima 2 have an integrated computer with PO2 percent that would have alarmed because it was hypoxic on the first breath if the O2 valve were cut off?
The Optima has 2 handsets, which will both alarm when the PO2 drops below .19. In addition, the solenoid will attempt to fire, while the heads-up-display will blink ferociously, and vibrate.

I hope this is not who I think it is...

I personally own and regularly dive an Optima. To answer your question - Yes. The Dive Rite Optima is equiped with has an integrated computer system that used 3 independent oxygen sensors that constantly measure the divers PO2 lever. This unit also has multiple redundant systems, including a unignorable vigrating HUD, that would immediatley alert the diver to a life-threatening drop in PO2. Furthermore, were the PO2 to go below a safe level, the unit would automatically fire the selenoid, which would immediately inject O2 into the divers breathing loop, but that would not sove the problem if the divers O2 source was not turned on. Additionally, all training that I am aware of teach divers to carry and immediately go to an ofboard bailout if a problem such as hypoxia (low PO2) were to present itself. Most divers would probably make a very quick attempt to find an onboard solution (i.e., manually inject O2), but would immediately bailout, if the problem was not QUICKLY solved.

My condolences to the diver's family.

Many of us that already are or will be in this thread were on the dives yesterday with the diver involved in the accident.

Just a reminder, we do not know if authorities have been in contact with the family yet, as the diver had traveled down from a different part of Florida. The media has not released the story as of yet (to my knowledge). Let's not get too carried away with this thread until there is something made official from the athorities.

Thank you,

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom