Reason for Taking Fundies

Motivation for taking Fundies

• I have taken Fundies and have substantially adopted the DIR philosophy for most of my diving.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • I have taken Fundies to be a better diver, not necessarily to be a DIR diver.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I plan on taking Fundies and substantially adopting the DIR philosophy for most of my diving.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I plan on taking Fundies to be a better diver, not necessarily to be a DIR diver.

Votes: 20 31.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Based on a few observations, I'm wondering what peoples motivations for Fundies were and how they dive after. I don't write polls every day so hopefully my choices reflect where I'm going with this.

It seems that I've met many people who have taken the Fundies class and while a couple are completely committed to DIR the others seemed to do it for other reasons and then proceed down a different (their own) path after.

Thoughts?

Reasons for taking Fundies are to improve your own diving and to learn a little bit about GUE the agency and its approach to diving.

GUE set a high bar and if you (a diver) meet the standard I take my hat off to you as it requires a lot of personal determination and dedication - qualities that I lack personally but which are a joy to see in others.

While I did not earn my "Pass", taking Fundies helped me add and improve many skills. It certainly gave me new tools and an insight into true team diving that I found extremely beneficial to me, personally.

Due to physical limitations, I can not achieve the sort of kick cycles some of the skills require, and a pass will never be in my future, but since improving my skills in the water, exploring new ways of diving, and learning skills totally new to me was my goal for taking the class, I got what I wanted, and would do it over again.

Ask me in two months
03.gif

My reason is not on the list. I have agreed to Fundies in order to take Cave 1

Irony,Irony not the same as coppery, silvery or brassy :)

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 02:21 PM ----------

Just wanted to say for anyone contemplating Fundies - think of it as a piece of music.

You have this beautiful rhythm and you know what the notes are.
Fundies teaches you how to put the notes in the right order (if you know them that is) and then expects you to remember it and play it back exactly if you want to perform the music beautifully in the future.

I have taken Fundies and have adopted the GUE diving system because it is a system that works for me. It's extremely safe, works in all environments and is supported by a global community.

Time for the disclaimers:

Is it the only system that does this? No, but it is the one that I chose.
Do I look down on others that have not adopted the GUE system? No.
Will I dive with non-GUE divers? I do it all the time. If you are safe, then I will dive with you.

Again, I was looking for a well-thought out system. I diving system that people with more knowledge and experience than I had already developed so I could simply go diving. At first I was opposed to "DIR" mainly because of what I had read on the internet. Then, as I always try to do with things that I do not have knowledge of, I gave it a chance. I bought and read the Fundamentals book, I talked with GUE divers and started diving with GUE divers. What did I find? A well thought out system and divers that were friendly, helpful, non-combative and looked very good in the water. That has not changed.

Another disclaimer that we all know: Every diving system, every diving group will have buttheads.......I don't care what flag you fly. I've encountered them in PADI, NAUI, TDI, etc. So, yeah, GUE has buttheads in it, and people tend to hone in on them...lol.

And I'm sure that someone will pick up that I say GUE system instead of DIR. That is because, while DIR started in the WKPP and moved to GUE.....it also went out to UTD, etc. I do not dive the UTD system; however, since it so closely mirrors GUE on most items, will I dive with a UTD diver? Yes! But, once again, I will dive with any safe diver....no matter which agency banner you fly.

Now, if the dives are GUE specific, then they are planned as such and I will only be diving with GUE divers....because that is how it was planned and/or that is one of the requirements set forth....etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, I need to get back to work...lol. I may add more later. :)

Take care and safe diving to all.

I took Fundies to improve my skills. When Steve White asked each of us to say why we were there, I said, "I want to be the best recreational diver I can be."

Like Cyprian, I stayed because I found a system of diving that made sense and that worked for everything I was doing, and lots of things I wasn't doing at the time but contemplated doing (cave diving!). I liked the fact that the educational materials were aimed at intelligent adults. I liked the fact that there was a reason for everything I was being taught, and that reason could be articulated by my instructor.

And probably the single biggest thing I found, which I didn't expect, was how wonderful it is to be part of a world-wide community of divers who have all had the same training and who can be predicted to behave in the same way. It's wonderful to go somewhere you've never been, and get in the water with someone you've never met, and feel as though you've been diving as a team for years.

My vote was not there.
I do not plant to take Fundies, but I aspire to DIR! (internet learning!!! :blinking:)

I picked I took fundie and adopt DIR option, but it wasn't my original intention. After PADI OW and AOW, I didn't feel the tranining is adaquate, far from it. Although I hadn't had any issue in water at that time, but I was pretty sure if things happened, I didn't know what to do. Then I met one of our local DIR diver/UTD instructor. At that time, I didn't even know what is DIR or GUE/UTD. But one dive with him, I realized that was how I wanted to dive. The method is exttremely efficient. Equipment is simple and streamline. And last but most stand out is his in water skill. I had met and dive with many other instructors, DMs and experienced diver (at least self claim). The in water skills I observed is just in a whole another level. Afterward, I was trying to arrange a UTD essential of Rec class with him, but due to schedule, it didn't happen. He, being n extremely cold guy, recommended I could also look into GUE fundie with another local instructor. There it happened. Thanks to this local UTD instructor.

So I didn't consider myself religous about DIR, I simply want to be a better and safer diver, and this system works. Other benefit, as TsandM mention, is to be able meet similar trained divers and immediately able to dive (well) together.

I hope to take Fundies because the people I've met and talked to on the Internet are such amazing divers. Safe, friendly, team divers. I want to progress to another level in my training and this seems to be the most logical way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom