Rear Inflation - Face Down in Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Add a cotch strap if you can
2) You can place the weights (in weight pockets) on the tank cam straps
3) Inflate only enough to lift you and remain on the surface

It might take a few dives to get used to back inflation (since you have been diving jackets). Enjoy!!!!

diveman7683:
Thats the biggest problem with back inflates. If you over inflate the bc, it'll push you forward. Inflate just enough to be positively bouyant and float on your back.

hmm... methinks that's a problem with the diver, not the equipment.

SmileMon:
I had the same problem with my zeagle, then I thanked god (and larry from scubatoys) for those back weight pockets, I moved 80% of my weights to the back and evualla underwater I'm in any angle I want, on the surface I'm on my back like an inflatable matress.

I do want to try that croth strap though, it seems very annoying pulling down the bc every 5 minutes.

This post caught my eye, as I'm currently researching BC's, and Zeagle is on the short-list.

Is the 80% of the weights non-ditchable? If so, not that it happens very often, but that sounds like an awful lot if you have to ditch. I spoke to Scott Zeagle, and he said a good rule of thumb is 1/3rd of the weight in the back. (i.e. if you need 12lbs, put 4 in the back, and the remaining 8 in the side-pockets.

Also, if the BC is riding up, doesn't that sound more like a fit/adjustment problem? (I don't profess to be an expert, by any means, so please take it for what it's worth...an observation)

Which one do you have, and how do you like it? I'm leaning towards the Escape, or Stiletto, as I'm a purely recreational diver, who hit's the Caribbean a few times a year. Thanks!

Tombo92551:
I tried a rear inflation BC yesterday and no matter how hard I tried, I ended up face down in the water. I usually use a jacket style and have herad that the back inflation unit is really good for trim.

Any thoughts on what I can do to keep my face out of the water on the surface. I prefer to swim on my back or rest on my back on the surface..

Thanx
Regards
Tom

You'll want to adjust your weighting-this can take some trial and error so best to use the pool

SmileMon:
I do want to try that croth strap though, it seems very annoying pulling down the bc every 5 minutes.

The crotch strap will definitely solve this problem for you. I dove my Dive-Rite without a crotch-strap, and it was bad enough that I considered giving it up. With the crotch-strap in place and tightened properly, it will keep your cummerbund and the lower back of the BC where they are supposed to be, and will also keep your tank from riding up and thumping you in the back of the melon. The weights for mine are non-ditchable, although I do have weight pockets in the front, which I use for miscellaneous gear. (and for extra weight if I'm wearing a thicker exposure suit) My weights run along my sides, from just behind my armpits down to the rear sides of the cummerbund. Very comfortable, out of the way, and my trim works out nicely, too.

You might try putting all your ditchable weight in the rear of the weight pocket. A plastic soap box with a number of holes in it in the front will keep the weights to the back.
They are still ditchable, and it does help with the face foreward problem.
In AOW, my instructor kept telling me to "inflate my bc", even though my lips were just above water.

I don't have a Ranger, but instead a Zena, and I put 50% of my weight in the rear pockets with an AL tank. With a steel tank, I put zero weight in the back.

Since you're a Skins Fan I recommend a BP/W for you.

If you were a Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers or Stars fan I would recommend a Stiletto.

Skinsfan1311:
This post caught my eye, as I'm currently researching BC's, and Zeagle is on the short-list.

Is the 80% of the weights non-ditchable? If so, not that it happens very often, but that sounds like an awful lot if you have to ditch. I spoke to Scott Zeagle, and he said a good rule of thumb is 1/3rd of the weight in the back. (i.e. if you need 12lbs, put 4 in the back, and the remaining 8 in the side-pockets.

Also, if the BC is riding up, doesn't that sound more like a fit/adjustment problem? (I don't profess to be an expert, by any means, so please take it for what it's worth...an observation)

Which one do you have, and how do you like it? I'm leaning towards the Escape, or Stiletto, as I'm a purely recreational diver, who hit's the Caribbean a few times a year. Thanks!

Skinsfan1311:

I don't know about non-ditchable, but there are front pockets which can be ditched by pulling the cord, people have been complaining its complicated to re-thread the cord, but its pretty simple, try at home when you get the BC.

The back pockets are not "ditchable", but you CAN pull them and it will drop the weights, just needs a bit more to do it, but if someone else needs to do it for you, they won't stretch a muscle (its all about angle :wink: )

The only problem I saw with mine is if the pony is connected in the back is that one of the pockets is a bit problematic to release, than again, if you have enough weight on you that one pocket won't make you bouyant, I think something is not 100%.

I need 18 pounds of weights, I used to put 6 in each side in the front and 3 in each side in the back, it took me straight to my face on the surface, I now have only 3 in the front and 6 in the back and its perfect, lay on my back on the surface, and can be in any angle in the water.

The BC fits pretty good on me, it has enough room for anything and adjusted if I want it smaller, I would go far and say it fits perfectly, its slipping only on the surface/jumping to the water, after I get wet it stays in place (maybe because it doesn't need to pull up anymore).

I'm using the Zeagle Brigade that scubatoys are selling.

try using a steel tank instead of an Al80. if you must dive an Al80 try moving some weight from belt/whatever to tank weights/backplate/STA...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom