Rear Inflation - Face Down in Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tombo92551

Reaction score
I tried a rear inflation BC yesterday and no matter how hard I tried, I ended up face down in the water. I usually use a jacket style and have herad that the back inflation unit is really good for trim.

Any thoughts on what I can do to keep my face out of the water on the surface. I prefer to swim on my back or rest on my back on the surface..

Thanx
Regards
Tom

deflate a bit your vest and stand up, then go on your back and inflate a bit, its not so hard.

You cant stand up if you put too much air in it

Too much air, you want your head out of the water, not your body.

I pull my legs up a little and just lean back.

Thats the biggest problem with back inflates. If you over inflate the bc, it'll push you forward. Inflate just enough to be positively bouyant and float on your back.

If you can....push your weights as back back onthe belt as possible, that helped me with my bp and wing. And the air thing is good word too.

Tombo92551:
I tried a rear inflation BC yesterday and no matter how hard I tried, I ended up face down in the water. I usually use a jacket style and have herad that the back inflation unit is really good for trim.

Any thoughts on what I can do to keep my face out of the water on the surface. I prefer to swim on my back or rest on my back on the surface..

Thanx
Regards
Tom

Tom,

Two keys to making a Back Inflate syle BC work properly; Proper weighting, and a crotch strap.

If you are overweighted you will need to fill the BC near full, and this means air in the BC down behind your lower back and butt. If you are properly weighted just a little puff of gas will get your chin out of the water. This little puff will be behind your neck and shoulders.

The crotch strap is key. Without one all that happens when you add gas is the rig rises up, but you don't. The natural reaction is to add more gas, and now you again have full BC, but it's over your head. With a crotch strap that little puff picks the rig and you up. It's like sitting in a swing.

Regards,

Tobin

I had the same problem with my zeagle, then I thanked god (and larry from scubatoys) for those back weight pockets, I moved 80% of my weights to the back and evualla underwater I'm in any angle I want, on the surface I'm on my back like an inflatable matress.

I do want to try that croth strap though, it seems very annoying pulling down the bc every 5 minutes.

Also to clarify this is a problem that is inherent of back inflate bcd's which are different from BPW's. The difference is:

1. With the weight of the back plate you tend to be back heavy which compensates for the inflation of the wing. Many of us have the majority of our weight on the BP than on our belt.

2. As Coolhardware pointed out - BPW's use a crotch strap. This keeps the BPW from rising off of the lower back and pushing you face forward.

Now I'm not advising that you go and buy a BPW as the above methods should be able to take of this issue.

cool_hardware52:
Two keys to making a Back Inflate syle BC work properly; Proper weighting, and a crotch strap.

Tobin

Proper wieghting also includes trim. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom