Really Interested in a Pony - What size? How to mount? Other questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen...as I too dive around Jupiter, I have found that a 19CF works well. not too big...not too small.
I use an extra Hog regulator on it with a Hog SPG. there are more compact specialty regs for sure but I have these on-hand.

to mount the pony, I have played with a number of options. my favorite is the Pony Tamer from Reef Scuba (Pony Bottle Brackets from reefscuba.com The Pony Tamer and The X Bracket). works very well and is easy to switch tanks without a major mechanical effort.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Please note I said AFTER DEPLOYMENT when you are done you clip it off. I care what happens to my second stage after it is out of my mouth. I don't like broken regulators do you?
Again, This is NOT a stage bottle. It is emergency gas. It is only to be used in training and an emergency. Once deployed, it is not restowed. It is only used because someone, you or another diver, is out of air. When you start using it, you will use it through your ascent, your safety stop (if you have gas to do so), through your de-finning at the surface, and through your ladder climb.

You will not switch back and forth like a stage or deco bottle. Once it's deployed, it's in your mouth till you're on the boat, or it's dry. And in that case, you're either breathing from another diver...or dead. In either case, you are in a bad emergency, and no one cares about damaged equipment- your life is more important. Let the reg get broke, it's better than wasting time trying to clip it to something.

The hose is attached to the first stage normally and finger-tight on the second. There is nothing loose. If it is so dangerous then why is this technique taught in technical diving courses for changing malfunctioning second stages under water? I guess you know more than tech agencies. Also please tell me the last time you saw a dive shop use a torque wrench on a hose fitting. Better yet ask them to explain to you how to do the math to calculate the torque when using an extension on a torque wrench. I am sure they will have no idea what you are talking about.
I know what you're talking about. First, as PfcAJ said, this is a dangerous technique, no longer taught. So, how much do you know about tech agencies? Apparently not much.

Where did you hear this? Who trained you on it? Was it written and endorsed by a major training organization?

Or did you just overhear some tech divers talking about this and get attacked by the Good Idea Fairy?

*edit- see below*

Second, It Does Not Make Sense. Maybe a tech diver would want to do this. Maybe. But WHY would a recreational diver want to? Where would a recreational diver get another second stage underwater? Rec. divers do not get the training to assess, diagnose, and replace life support parts underwater. If a rec. diver's 2nd stage fails, he is trained to bail out to his octo, his buddy's octo, a pony, or to CESA. They are not taught to fix stuff underwater, they are taught to abort the dive immediately.

Third, every fitting should have a torque setting issued by the factory to aid technicians. This ensures that the small woman working on your gear gets the same tightness as the 270 pound half-gorilla, half-man, ex-NFL Lineman who strips fitting with two fingers on the wrench.

All my second stages are finger tight as I do swap them from first stages. NONE have ever come undone. I also lube the fittings lightly so the parts don't stick. The o-ring is what seals the connection not how tight it is (within limits).
And a loose hose can allow an o-ring to slip or gap, even slightly. That give the potential for a burst o-ring. Again, no rec. diver is trained or plans to swap parts on his life support equipment underwater. I would be very careful about this loose connections on your life support gear. Just because it has not happened, doesn't mean that it won't or can't. You have just been lucky that it hasn't so far. As PfcAJ said, it will lead to bad things underwater. Finger tight is finger loose.

For the rest of the divers reading this now and in the future, my advice is this: Don't set yourself up for failure; don't leave your regs
loose.

I disagree. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck. The only real difference between a pony and a stage is how it is used. However, in practice usually ponies are a smaller cylinder but not always, some people like to use 40s as both a pony and a stage. A pony bottle is insurance against first stage problems when diving solo or when buddy separation could be a problem.

WRONG. A pony may look like a stage bottle to the untrained eye (I've been asked if I'm a tech diver because of it), but is most certainly is not the same.

A stage or deco bottle is gas that is planned to be used at a certain point in the dive. It is not emergency gas, it is planned for use. A pony is not planned for use. Every dive should be conducted so that the diver is back on the boat with adequate supplies of air in their main tank. It is an insurance policy against emergencies like the diver running out of air, his buddy running out of air, or a malfunction. It is not planned for use like a stage/deco bottle is, and once in use, is used through the remainder of the dive, for one purpose, to get to more gas- preferablely a place where gas supplies are unlimited and free.

The same rules do not apply. The reg does not need a clip, because it is not restowed. There isn't a side requirement, because the diver should keep it where they are comfortable. And it should be treated as an emergency reserve, never as a means to extend a dive, or decompress on.

This is what I am talking about but it is difficult to see the bolt strap under the inner tube. Mr Chen mentioned he has no way of restowing the hose underwater. My suggestion is don't, just clip off the second stage to a shoulder d-ring. Most BCs have them.
This is your problem, no one will be restowing a pony reg underwater. You use it because there are no other gas supplies to switch to. MrChen already knows this:
I thought to myself, once this hose comes out, it isn't going back in if I'm under water.
(emphasis mine).

Attachments

• 5-good-idea-fairy.jpg
    5-good-idea-fairy.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
All my second stages are finger tight as I do swap them from first stages. NONE have ever come undone. I also lube the fittings lightly so the parts don't stick. The o-ring is what seals the connection not how tight it is (within limits).

I appreciate the advice, but I've not been trained in these techniques and don't feel comfortable with trying it on my own.

As far as stowage goes, Mr. Chen says he can't which is why I suggested a bolt snap. I am not sure what it will catch on that the tank rigging won't but then again I do not dive very challenging environments.

I'm going to follow Rands advice and cut the bands in half. This will make it easier to slip the hose back in the bands. I was initially confused by your post, but I now see what your saying, I guess the visual helped :). I'll try cutting the bands in half first and go from there and keep the clip in mind.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 10:30 AM ----------

Popcorn is going in the microwave :)

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 10:33 AM ----------

Personally, I'd change the orientation of the rigging to facilitate the cylinder valve handle to the outside (whichever side you choose .. roughly 30-45deg from the valve front/back) and clean up the rigging from webbing to cord. Add a second pipe strap (and put some hollow tubing around it). Also, tuck the mouthpiece under the LP hose when stowing (keeps the reg from bobbing around in current and tight to the cylinder)

BRad

Yes, if I switch sides, I'll flip everything 180 degrees. Right now it's configured for my right side.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 10:37 AM ----------

MrChen...as I too dive around Jupiter, I have found that a 19CF works well. not too big...not too small.
I use an extra Hog regulator on it with a Hog SPG. there are more compact specialty regs for sure but I have these on-hand.

to mount the pony, I have played with a number of options. my favorite is the Pony Tamer from Reef Scuba (Pony Bottle Brackets from reefscuba.com The Pony Tamer and The X Bracket). works very well and is easy to switch tanks without a major mechanical effort.

When you're stuck on a full boat, how easy is it to fit between tanks? I went with a sling to avoid this problem. Though I might still consider a mounting option for those days that I know there's room. I purchased a hog 1st and 2nd but moved both to use on my primary air source.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 10:41 AM ----------

TC, we can't see that photo. Try saving it and then uploading it? We are getting access denied.

Mr Chen, if the boat is crowded, I usually put it under the seat before/between/after dives and then clip it to my BC right before I stand up. Of course I try not to dive crowded boats haha.

Mr Chen, if the boat is crowded, I usually put it under the seat before/between/after dives and then clip it to my BC right before I stand up. Of course I try not to dive crowded boats haha.
Exactly the same as I do. Attaching it to the tank takes away your option to pass it off to another diver.

Picture has been fixed. Bob on the FOB is one of the greatest military cartoons ever.

If it still won't work; try this link. It also has the rest of SSG Merrifields creatures. Anyone who's served will recognize them; and I suspect that they also inhabit civilian offices and workplaces as well.

http://rokdrop.com/2008/06/06/bob-on-the-fobs-creature-gallery/

Mr Chen. Don't sweat the details too much at this stage (pun intended). Play with it, practice, practice, practice. It will all fall into place and you will make the adjustments that feel right to you. Then before you know it, you'll be the one giving advice on the next pony bottle thread! :D

One other thing to add to the discussion about stowing the hose on a stage/pony. You already have it rigged up with the reg hose under both elastic bands. The way we train is when stowing the hose, you only need to secure it under one elastic band. Getting it back under both bands in the water is tough, and securing it under a single band is doable in water and secures it adequately.

I could see this being necessary if you were ascending on your pony and were about to run out of gas in it and still had some back gas left. It would probably be a good idea to stow the pony reg hose so it doesn't hang up on the boat ladder as you get out of the water. Now again, this is if you have the luxury of time in this situation.

In any event, I like to have my regs secured whenever out of my mouth and it is possible to do so.

Mr Chen. Don't sweat the details too much at this stage (pun intended). Play with it, practice, practice, practice. It will all fall into place and you will make the adjustments that feel right to you. Then before you know it, you'll be the one giving advice on the next pony bottle thread! :D

That's the plan! :)

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 11:07 PM ----------

One other thing to add to the discussion about stowing the hose on a stage/pony. You already have it rigged up with the reg hose under both elastic bands. The way we train is when stowing the hose, you only need to secure it under one elastic band. Getting it back under both bands in the water is tough, and securing it under a single band is doable in water and secures it adequately.

I could see this being necessary if you were ascending on your pony and were about to run out of gas in it and still had some back gas left. It would probably be a good idea to stow the pony reg hose so it doesn't hang up on the boat ladder as you get out of the water. Now again, this is if you have the luxury of time in this situation.

In any event, I like to have my regs secured whenever out of my mouth and it is possible to do so.

I'll cut the bands in half first. If I do this, I can probably get it back in both if need be and time allowing and situation needing it. Worse comes to worse, lets say I deploy it for someone else but then they get their situation resolved, I can clip my primary and breath the pony from the surface on to the boat.

MrChen, if the boat is crowded I usually just clip the stowed pony on the pony tamer mount when ready to dive. It is quick... easy and secure.

I'll have to see it one time. When do you want to dive? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom