Really Interested in a Pony - What size? How to mount? Other questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Rand, I'll check out the videos.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 05:31 PM ----------

I purchased a DIN reg, but decided to use it as my main regulator and put my yoke reg on the pony. I originally had a 40" regulator hose but it was too long, so I put a 26" hose.

20hlmcy.jpg
33fcfbd.jpg

Looks good with the reg on it and fully set up. Can't wait to see it in person on a dive.

I want to add something to the thread for people that may read this in the future; as I discussed it with MrChen by email. In my opinion, a rec. diver should leave the pony on during the dive. I understand the reason that a tech diver wants their slung tanks turned off; to prevent the loss of deco/travel gas to a critical failure during the dive.

But a rec. diver may need to "bailout" (to borrow an expression) to his pony with no notice. It isn't like a planned gas switch that has distinct planning, procedures, and if I recall, should have a buddy to witness the switch. In the case of a rec. diver, the first reaction will be to grab the 2nd stage from the pony, and breathe. If the valve is off, they'll get one breath, because they forgot to turn on the valve in their haste. That second OOA event will just add more stress to the situation.

One breath is all you'll get; I showed that to MrChen the other night. In my opinion, the small chance of possibly losing some of a reserve to a failure is less of a risk than increasing the stress level of an already stressful event by having another OOA situation follow another.

Last edited:
Thanks Rand, I'll check out the videos.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 05:31 PM ----------

I purchased a DIN reg, but decided to use it as my main regulator and put my yoke reg on the pony. I originally had a 40" regulator hose but it was too long, so I put a 26" hose.

20hlmcy.jpg
33fcfbd.jpg

May I make a few suggestions?

Get some heavy duty elastic bands to use to hold the hose in place, like these. You just need to buy one and then cut it down the middle to make two. They work a million times better than bungie cord, which you will find moves all around in the water and doesn't hold the reg and hose where you want it.

Bend the 6" hose back on itself and tie a short piece of cave line or bungie cord like this:

That will make the gauge more easy to see and it keeps it from slapping against the tank like it might in the manner you currently have it rigged.

Route the hose straight down from the first stage. You may need to cant the first stage so the hose routes straight down. When you use the elastic bands I linked to above, the hose stays really tight and you can use the hose to secure the mouthpiece in place, thus negating the need for the silicon mouthpiece holder shown in your photo (definitely lose that). This is what it should look like:

Also note the rigging for the tank sits about 45 degrees off center from the face of the tank valve. This allows the reg hose to route straight down the center of the tank and the hose then runs right next to the rigging, further helping to keep the hose in place. The whole idea is to have the reg and hose towards the outside of your body since the bottle should be worn on the left.

I can't quite tell from your photos if you are using a fuel line to hold the rigging together and provide some space for the elastic to be held off the tank. I'd highly suggest rigging it like shown on Frogkickdiving.com if you don't have it that way already. As noted above you want the rigging to sit about 45 degrees off the center line from the face of the valve. Once you have the rigging set in the right position, pull down hard on it and tighten that hose clamp (also a word about the hose clamp, I'd get some tubular webbing for it to keep it from scratching up your paint). The rigging is NOT a handle, it merely keeps everything in place on the tank and gives some space for the elastic to sit off of the tank. You carry the tank on land just like you would any other tank, by the valve.

Note the elastic straps holding the hose. One goes over the rigging (this allows you to easily slide a finger under it when stowing the hose in the water), and the other goes below the lower bolt snap (you should have an inch or two on your tank to do this--if not, I would put both pieces of elastic over of the fuel line rigging and between the bolt snaps).

It's all nice and streamlined with minimal pieces, and it all stays in place with those elastic straps. When you need to deploy it, you just grab the second stage and pull up and away from you. The elastic holds it tight, but not so tight that you can't deploy it. You want it to stay tidy and not become an entanglement hazard.

Nothing says you can't use a yoke valve on the pony, but the DIN valve will stick out a little less and also be less prone to catching onto something. As you accumulate gear, consider getting another DIN valve for the pony. But I agree with you right now. If I only had one DIN valve, I'd put it on my back gas first and get one for the pony later.

Sorry if it seems like I'm tearing apart your rig. You have most of the pieces, you just need to clean it up a bit.

Thanks for the advice, you addressed a couple of my concerns plus more. I'll see what I can do. Where did you get the elastic bands? My LDS used a single surgical tube and I added the bungee cord. I can easily rotate the first stage for the reg hose to go straight down. I'll play with the spg idea tomorrow. I was concerned with it banging and the metal contact of the clamp.

Thanks for the advice, you addressed a couple of my concerns plus more. I'll see what I can do. Where did you get the elastic bands? My LDS used a single surgical tube and I added the bungee cord. I can easily rotate the first stage for the reg hose to go straight down. I'll play with the spg idea tomorrow. I was concerned with it banging and the metal contact of the clamp.

Here is the link from NE Scuba where I got the heavy duty rubber bands.

For the SPG, I tie it like pictured when diving and cut the cord and let it lay flat for storage. I've found doing it this way extends the life of the 6" hose because there is a lot of stress on the hose near the crimped ends when it is left bent and tied for extended periods. Tying a short piece of bungie cord in a similar fashion may facilitate holding the bend and removal for storage if you don't feel like tying the cave line all the time.

Mr Chen, if you get the elastic bands get me a couple and we can split shipping. I have surgical tubes too and that is a weak point on the rigging. They roll around too much.

I don't fold over my 6" hose as I don't feel the need to look at it a ton, and don't like the way it stresses the hose.

I also agree with T.C. I leave my valve on the whole dive. If there is a leak, it will be obvious as it is slung. Whatever you decide, don't leave it OFF for a whole dive...I did that once on accident, and it cost me a full service on the reg because I flooded it! haha

Sounds good Tim, I'll buy extras. Thanks for the link Rand (al Thor).

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 04:24 PM ----------

Ordered.

Ok Rand, I got the bands yesterday. I had to disconnect everything to get them on and put the rig back together. It looks a lot cleaner. I used the cord I had on the tank to hold back the spg like a rubber band. I just did it to see how it works and it solves the dangling problem. I'm not storing it like this. Thank you for your advice.

2rhs5l2.jpg
znn0bn.jpg
2wcirkz.jpg
30tgcvl.jpg

That looks a lot better. I think you'll be happier with the more simplified setup. FYI, you can cut those elastic bands in half, making two elastic bands out of each one. I find it a bit easier to stow and deploy the hoses under the elastic when it is thinner as opposed to the full thickness that it comes as.

That looks a lot better. I think you'll be happier with the more simplified setup. FYI, you can cut those elastic bands in half, making two elastic bands out of each one. I find it a bit easier to stow and deploy the hoses under the elastic when it is thinner as opposed to the full thickness that it comes as.

I was thinking this as I was putting them on and trying to stuff the hose under them. I thought to myself, once this hose comes out, it isn't going back in if I'm under water. I'll have to tear the whole thing apart again to do it, but I think it's worth it. I don't care for the port configuration of my first stage and cut my finger pretty good trying to loosen up the reg hose so I can move the hose to a different port.

I know you said the to sling on the left side, but my BCD has a really nice pocket on the left and a crappy one on the right. I store my reel and SMB on the left when drift diving, so I'm most likely going to sling on my right so that it's easier to unclip my reel. I'd hate to accidentally unclip the bottom of my sling. When I get a BP/W next year, I'll re-evaluate this and re-configure for a left sling.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2014 at 02:39 PM ----------

Tim, I'll bring it with me when I get you the bands so you can check it out. I always welcome feedback. Hope to catch up with you soon.

Back
Top Bottom