REAL Support for the Boys in Uniform

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennypue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
THIS should be in the news!!!!!!!

Forwarded in hopes that you all will give this info maximum disimination........

Subject: Denzel Washington
Subject: Brooks Army Medical Center

Don't know whether you heard about this but Denzel Washington and his family visited the

troups at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio,Texas (BAMC) the other day. This is

where soldiers that have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the

States, especially burn victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The

Fisher House is a hotel where soldiers' families can stay, for little or no charge, while their

soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base but as you

can imagine, they are almost completely filled most of the time.

While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher

Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book

out and wrote a check for the full amount right there on the spot. The soldiers overseas

were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public,

because it warmed their hearts to hear it.

The question I have is why do Alec Baldwin, Madonna, Sean Penn and other Hollywood

types make front page news with their anti-everything American crap and this doesn't even

make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper?

Except the base newspaper in San Antonio.

343%3C284%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D%3A6%3B%3D%3A5%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B7%3B%3B98%3B8ot1lsi
343%3C284%3B23232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D%3A6%3B%3D%3A5%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B7%3B%3B98%3B%3Bot1lsi
343%3C284%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D%3A6%3B%3D%3A5%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B7%3C23338ot1lsi
343%3C284%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D%3A6%3B%3D%3A5%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B7%3C238%3C5ot1lsi
343%3C284%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D%3A6%3B%3D%3A5%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B7%3C23339ot1lsi

pennypue:
...Denzel Washington and his family visited the troups at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio,Texas (BAMC) the other day.

True, if "the other day" was about half a year ago.

He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right there on the spot.

Not true. He did make a donation, but not enough to build another Fisher House.

Nothing against Mr. Washington, but the credulous acceptance (and passing on) of chain-email glurge can get annoying.

Here's some further reading: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

Irregardless, it's nice to see someone from Hollywood helping our troops instead of constantly trying to undermine them.

when my son was stationed in Iraq he sustained a non life threatening injury. He was sent to Landstuhl Medical Center in Germany for surgery. I can't EVER express enough gratitude to the Fisher House folks there, who gave me lodging across the street from the hospital. I was a mental case....(nothing new) thinking of more serious scenarios he was to be sent back to, that perhaps this was to be our final time together......nothing like a sick or injured child to bring things into perspective...... Without them I would have been afloat in a foreign country, looking for housing and transportation near the base, not to mention dificulties getting on to the base without someone at the gate to sign one in........they handled everything!!!!
Instead there was big house full of stressed out families treated like kings, lots of positive interaction, food, comfort and companionship.
My stay was paid for by some wealthy donors from the states who vowed to cover all the house expenses for any relative of any injured soldier from Iraq.
Such generousity!!!! I was overcome with gratitude and made my own little donation.
So, if it is true that Mr. Denzel made a significant donation, as the urban legend site documents, you must know it was SIGNIFICANT. More than that donation that covered all the family visits to Landstuhl for any Iraq based injured soldier!!!!
Thankfully there are those that extend themselves beyond their own inner circle.
Coincidentaly, my son is now at Brook Medical Center in San Antonio undergoing further treatment......
Mary

marydiver:
Coincidentaly, my son is now at Brook Medical Center in San Antonio undergoing further treatment......
Mary
Mary,
Thanks for sharing your experience. And please be sure to extend my thanks to your son for his service. It's the men and women in the military that go to do the job that impress me. Citizens at home have the right to question why our country is there. But everyone should support our soldiers, they are there voluntarily to protect our country and our freedoms, and they risk their lives and health to do so. And they have my unending admiration, respect and appreciation.

Thanks Mary's son. :10:

pennypue:
Mary,
Thanks for sharing your experience. And please be sure to extend my thanks to your son for his service. It's the men and women in the military that go to do the job that impress me. Citizens at home have the right to question why our country is there. But everyone should support our soldiers, they are there voluntarily to protect our country and our freedoms, and they risk their lives and health to do so. And they have my unending admiration, respect and appreciation.

Thanks Mary's son. :10:

about Fisher house. I am a deacon at our local church. last year I asked the board to make a donation to fisher house, they did $1000. it is a good way to say thanks to the troops.

mstevens:
True, if "the other day" was about half a year ago.

Not true. He did make a donation, but not enough to build another Fisher House.

Nothing against Mr. Washington, but the credulous acceptance (and passing on) of chain-email glurge can get annoying.

Here's some further reading: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

(Getting Up On SoapBox Now) Ok, yet again there is somebody to rain on another's parade. Regardless of how long ago ("about half a year ago"), such a plithy remark to downplay one's selfless acts in supporting our countries soldiers (which by the way I am still serving and I could care less how long ago it was). I do take to heart what the country stands for and you sir, are probably one of the one's who enjoys your days off on the 4th of July, Memorial Day and so on, and who paid for that? I think no matter how much the donation it was, it was a start of another house to be built. So, that the soldier who has been injured while fighting for this country's beliefs and values, family can be close to him when he makes it back home.

I do not see the Baldwin brothers doing anything, oh yea when are they moving to Canada (I would like to be at the border to send them off). I for one applaud Mr. Washington's act. The question to you is, what have you done to support your country (keep in mind you don't need to serve it to support it)?

Well, I think the fact that it wasn't in the news speaks volumes for Mr. Washington.

and by the way Get Well soon Mary's son and stay safe. :)

Mrs.Prages:
Well, I think the fact that it wasn't in the news speaks volumes for Mr. Washington.

and by the way Get Well soon Mary's son and stay safe. :)
It speaks very well for Denzel’s actions just like Toby Keith and Ted Nugent heading out of the Green Zone to do concerts for the front line troops with no entourage, no publicity, and very little protection. Ted even spent his time between shows getting filthy repairing humvees for the guys.

Thanks Mary’s son for your service and thank you Mary for your sacrifices as a military mom. My prayers are with you and your son for a speedy and full recovery.

"Thanks" PENNYPUE.

It's wonderful to hear of celebrity’s doing such things. I hadn't heard about this before your post.

And “Thank You” to DMP “The Good Humor Guy” for putting MSTEVENS in his appropriate place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSTEVENS how come we didn’t hear your reply to DMP????? What have you done for your country? So Denzel didn’t give enough money for the WHOLE house, as a physician how much money have you donated to our troops?

“Thank You” to Denzel and all other celebrities who have the guts to help our soldiers! "No Thanks" to the losers who try to undermine thier efforts!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom