National geographic - you can't go home again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sam,

Was the John Steele you mentioned in a previous post the same John Steele from the Great Lakes region?

Last edited:
... Do you have a copy of this article yourself, or do you know where a copy of it might exist? Thanks!

I have an original copy purchased off E-bay. I searched for it after reading Papa Topside. It shows its age (brown around edges) but is all there. I don't care to sell it but we can discuss a loan. I can shoot a few stills if that helps. I will also see a friend later this month who worked with Cousteau and Geographic as a cinematographer and videographer in case you just need a short clip shot by a pro.

I don't have first-person experience but might be able to enlighten you on some points. I was stationed on the Mark II Deep Dive system aboard the Elk River (built to support Sealab III). There were several Sea Lab III divers still onboard by the time I came along. I also spent hours listening to Chief Cyril Tuckfield's sea stories when he was running the diving locker. I didn't appreciate what a legend he was when I first met him. Truly an modest and understated gentleman. The youngest crew member on Sealab III was the team leader on my first sat dive so there were days of decompression and sea stories.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom