Real estate recommendation for diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't comment on a good place to buy, but I will be on the Nekton the week of the 23rd. Looking forward to it. Last I heard there was a very low number of divers on the boat. Looking forward to the break. The local rain is starting to become a real pain. Have not been diving for three weeks. See you there.

Will be interested in the results of your search however.

Darnold9999:
Can't comment on a good place to buy, but I will be on the Nekton the week of the 23rd. Looking forward to it. Last I heard there was a very low number of divers on the boat. Looking forward to the break. The local rain is starting to become a real pain. Have not been diving for three weeks. See you there.

Will be interested in the results of your search however.

Cool - will look forward to meeting up with you in the Nekton. I'l be with wife and two well behaved teens, both excellent divers.

I hate to ask (as I should have done my research), but is December the height of the rainy season in Belize?

Shakeybrainsurgeon....

The name sends a chuckle down my spine...lol...medical personnel humor. All kidding aside, where in PA are you? I had surgery almost 2 years ago, Dr. Kevin Judy, UPenn great guy....dry, but very funny sense of humor....

As far as the real estate, I would say you could get your biggest bang for your buck on Bonaire! It is amazing! We have a great sustainable growth plan, everything that is going up is upscale, especially waterfront within very reasonable prices. We are much safer than most of the islands (even Curacao) and we are outside of the hurricane belt....

Liz
Liz

dvrliz1:
Shakeybrainsurgeon....

The name sends a chuckle down my spine...lol...medical personnel humor. All kidding aside, where in PA are you? I had surgery almost 2 years ago, Dr. Kevin Judy, UPenn great guy....dry, but very funny sense of humor....

As far as the real estate, I would say you could get your biggest bang for your buck on Bonaire! It is amazing! We have a great sustainable growth plan, everything that is going up is upscale, especially waterfront within very reasonable prices. We are much safer than most of the islands (even Curacao) and we are outside of the hurricane belt....

Liz
Liz

I live in Fox Chapel, but practice in Washington County. I know of Dr. Judy, he used to be in Pittsburgh (my area), never met him. Never have been to Bonaire --- my only concern about retiring there personally is 1) how is the golf compared to Aruba, if any and 2) the level of emergency medical care vs Aruba (important for us aging folks). No doubt diving is better, so I've heard, but as a retirement place or as a frequent vacation respite as we grow older, does Bonaire match up to Aruba? I don't know enough to comment.

Having owned several bits of paradise scattered around the globe, there really is no perfect answer.

The Carnival may not stop, but it can sure get to be wearing.

The biggest considerations are the availability of clean titles as well as the attitude of the Government (the local monied classes) as to your presence.

As long as you have money to spend as you move into your land and abode, you will be welcome. Most islanders look at North Americans as bags of money to be emptied.

Are you really ready to settle into one island paradise and never vary? Are you ready to abndon Walmart and Home Depot access? Are you willing to forgo simple selections of more than one kind of... I don't know... lemonade drink mix?

How's your health? Medical services- as much as we might decry the Westernized system- even basics might be unavailable... icluding perscription medications.

How do you feel about having to replace your computer every two years (on average) because of the green goo inside any electronic device?

The tropics might be fun for a while... but are you ready for paradise x 365 ?

Sure, RM, throw a dose of reality on everyone's fantasy!

mow2000:
YES. If I could I'd pitch this computer straight out the window and I'd never look back.
MOW2000 - Amen to that, brother! Personally I'd be more than willing to give up many of the conveniences and all of the headaches of my 365 day-per-year "advanced lifestyle" for a life filled with a lot more R&R and much less stress.

That's one of the reasons I love diving so much - it clears all of the garbage of modern life out of my head.

Ok, We do have an Arizona arid small golf course on Bonaire, but hey, why not live on Bonaire and take long weekends to Aruba for golfing...very quick trip and inexpensive. Medical care...hmmmmmm actually I was pleasantly surprised. Our PCP is Dr. vd vaart and he is excellent! I have to be watched for a possiblity of recurring posterior fossa meningioma, as well as other places on my spine...yearly MRIs done no problem. My husband has HBP, DM2 and he had a malignant(very rare) parathyroid tumor removed about 8 years ago, so we screen his calcium levels often. The island is proactive in preventative medicine and education. I have also seen that their level of care in osteopathy and orthopaedics is exellent, and cardiology is very good. I had diverticulitis one time and was admitted to the hospital (it is nothing like a US hospital is looks, it feels more like a resort with hospital beds...lol) and had excellent care!
If there was anything major like another brain surgery, I would definitely go back to the states. One of my best friends broke her ankle, badly last year and it required plates, screws and some wiring...surgery done right here on Bonaire, excellent physio-therapy afterwards...

Liz

I've always had a difficult time mixing business with pleasure. Something usually gets compromised.

Vacations and real estate investments are not easy for me to mix. My emotion for a vacation spot can cloud my judgment on the real estate investment. Can you accept breaking even or do you want to maximize your return on investment ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom