Real estate recommendation for diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK - so I'm considering the idea of purchasing a 2-bedroom condo somewhere in the Caribbean for my family and I to visit as often as possible, and I'd plan to spend quite a bit of time diving wherever I buy. The obvious selection criteria are:

-Great diving
-Nice topside features
-Safe place to live
-Reasonable cost of living
-Not too difficult to get to from the East Coast

I don't expect that I'm going to find a place that will meet all of these criteria - that would be called "shangri-la", but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I know, this is probably an insane idea, but one I've been toying with of late, and I wonder if any SBers might have actually purchased a place somewhere in the greater Caribbean so that they can give me feedback - "love it" or "regret it" or whatever. I'd even consider Cozumel (and yes I know that this is the Caribbean forum).

As always, I welcome any and all ideas.

Oh, and we're doing Nekton Belize the week of Dec. 23. Hope to see some fellow SBers on the trip.

Grand Cayman would probably fit all of your criteria, except is does have a high cost of living and I am not sure what the condo market is like after Ivan and not knowing how much you want to pay. The added risk of the Caymans is of course hurricane season.

Aruba, while the diving is not quite Cayman or Bonaire quality, is very good. It meets your other requirements and unlike Cayman, is outside of the Hurricane Belt and the real estate prices are not too bad.

blawler1:
Grand Cayman would probably fit all of your criteria, except is does have a high cost of living and I am not sure what the condo market is like after Ivan and not knowing how much you want to pay. The added risk of the Caymans is of course hurricane season.

Aruba, while the diving is not quite Cayman or Bonaire quality, is very good. It meets your other requirements and unlike Cayman, is outside of the Hurricane Belt and the real estate prices are not too bad.

Speaking of Aruba, what about Bonaire or Curacao ? Both have much better diving. Curacao looks interesting as it's easier to get to than Bonaire and appears to have a more stable economy.

I just bought a 2 bedroom luxury condo on Grand Cayman.Lots of factors played into place on choosing GC.Most were what your criteria are.And NO taxes(except for initial purchase)!!!!!!!!!! That is always a plus.It is in the SeaBreeze Villa's,which is in Boddentown ,south side of island.

Don't know about condo's but the prices on Utila are great, both for purchase and for cost of living. We purchased there last year.

Haven't looked at the Roatan market, but for condos, I suspect you'd have more choices, but if you are looking for beachfront property, you can't get much cheaper than Utila.

I think you can get the most bang for your buck with Belize!! It's starting to be discovered, but I have seen houses on great beach property for $100,000 which is insane. I would also consider Turks and Caicos, but the prices are a bit more. Let us know what you decide.

Many thanks for the ideas regarding Cayman, Utila, and Aruba/Curacao. I especially like the idea of some of those locations that are below the hurricane belt. Any comments regarding the "safety" of Utila. Aruba, and Curacao, as I've never visited any of these.

We've also been to Cayman and loved the diving, but the topside was pretty boring (flat coral island) and the prices high.

St. John is a beautiful island (not a flat coral island ala Grand Cayman or Bonaire) -- with quick access to some of the conveniences of a larger town (Charlotee Amalie on St. Thomas). Plus, as a US territory you are protected from some of the political risk associated with other parts of the Caribbean.

It seems to me the diving on St. John is very under-rated. And, all the great BVI diving is minutes away via boat. Well, "minutes" in the case of Yost Van Dyke. But Tortola and Virgin Gorda are easy to get to.

I think that your should rent and live for at least six months at any locale to make sure the the Carnival does not stop (for all you Wouk fans).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom