Ready to go dry - Bare vs DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a Nex-Gen. Until 2 weekends ago it was the only drysuit I had ever had on in the water. I bought an XLT from an LDS, but I had to order it since they had none in stock. I have always thougt that the LT would have been a better fit since the XLT can fit someone who weighs 40 lbs more than me (and I wear LT Bare wetsuits).

I think the suit is great, I wreck dive and its covered in rust stains, so its gotta be tough. I haven't ever regretted purchasing it.

2 weeks ago I went to a DUI DOG Ralley and tried their crushed neoprene - older model, back entry - no telescoping torso- and the TLS 350. Both were stock XL. They fit me so much closer. when I got out of the water I didn't have a bunch of extra material all sealed and wrinkled together. I liked both suits alot and I could easily reach my valves so they weren't too tight.

My point: Bare makes a good suit. Hellova deal for the money. But make sure it fits, because after diving a better fitting DUI I now want a new suit. Whether that suit ends up being a Bare or a DUI remains to be seen.

I don't like the idea of replacing my Nex-gen. Until I dove the DUIs I had intended to dive it until it fell apart at the seams.

Lisa,

I live in Jersey and average about 70 dives a year, and I have a Bare Nex-Gen suit, which I believe is the cheapest suit you can get. I had intentions on getting a DUI TLS 350, but after trying it on at a demo, found that it didn't fit me as well as I had hoped. I liked the fit of the Bare much better. While I could have had a custom DUI suit made, the $650 Nex-Gen was very alluring. My thought was "if it holds up for two years, I'll be thrilled". Well, it's holding up very well and looks brand new. For me, the biggest benefit to owning a cheaper suit (as long as it fits well) is that I don't worry about it like I would a more expensive suit. If I tear it, I'm not heartbroken.

Try both suits on and see what fits best. Don't get caught in the "more expensive must be better" thinking. You just need something that fits well and keeps you dry.

Hi everyone! Thanks for your posts!
Since there were only good things to say about the Bare suit (and no really convincing reasons why I should get a DUI instead) I bought the Nex-Gen from divetank.com and had a great experience so far (could NOT beat that deal!). The fit is awesome and I can't wait to try it out! I have a million questions about dry suit diving, but they will all be answered when I take the course next weekend.
Thanks again for all your replies, they were all so very helpful!! I'll definitely follow up here if there are any updates.
-Lisa

Tom Winters:
You did get suspenders and thigh pockets, right?

I actually ordered suspenders when I purchased my Nex-Gen and to be honest, I could have done without them. I don't think it's as much of a necessity for girls as it is for guys. I have two buddies with the same suit, one male and one female, both have suspenders. The girl never uses hers, and the guy desperately needs them.

There's finally an advantage to having hips! :D

Dont forget the pee valve!! :D

Tom Winters:
You did get suspenders and thigh pockets, right?

I did not, but I am aware that they might be a good idea! I'm sure that I'll learn a lot more in the course next weekend, and those lessons might be more expensive if there's more gear to buy.

Honestly, does it ever end! It's unbelievable how much we've already put into this new hobby!!!!

But it's sooooooooooooo worth it!:wink:
Thanks for the tip - I'll keep it in mind.

I think DUI is very high quality. They may cost more than BARE but it comes with a heck of a warranty & great customer service (even from the president of the company). I have heard that DUI suits fit alot better as well, I have to agree.

Just had to chime in.
Matt

lisa_j:
I did not, but I am aware that they might be a good idea! I'm sure that I'll learn a lot more in the course next weekend, and those lessons might be more expensive if there's more gear to buy.

Honestly, does it ever end! It's unbelievable how much we've already put into this new hobby!!!!

But it's sooooooooooooo worth it!:wink:
Thanks for the tip - I'll keep it in mind.
Well, the thing is that the good stuff lasts and lasts, so amortized over the course of years of service, it's not so bad. Way cheaper than owning an airplane or horses. Plus, and this is a big point, if you buy the right gear the first time around, you don't have to go buying more of it to get things right.
And it does end - once you have the scooter and rebreather. You can retrofit your own suspenders - they will make a huge difference on a dive boat between dives. Pockets are just plain handy. Lots of people glue their own on, but Superior Drysuit and Gamble can put them on professionally if no one is close to where you are. Have fun and enjoy the drysuit.

Bare is made in Vancouver, Canada We have sold over 500 units in the past 5 years. You can call Bare Direct at 1-800-663-0111 or Call our Dive Shop toll free 1-877-89scuba ext:1 Divetank Dive Shop

cheers and safe diving

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom