Ready to go dry - Bare vs DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j:
Hello fellow divers!
Jeff and I are ready to purchase a couple of new dry suits. We're considering the Bare Nex Gen and the DUI TSL SE. We've read a lot of good reviews on the Bare suit but are concerned that it might not be durable enough. We've also read that the DUI trilam suit is much more rugged and durable, and we're wondering if it's worth the extra money.
We are just taking the dry suit course next month, and we're not planning on doing any technical diving with it, but we want it to hold up to normal use.
Any comments are greatly appreciated!
-Lisa

Skip the Bare.. go with DUI... WAYYYYY Better suit from fit to features.

kidspot:
Is the Bare nex-gen actually a Tri-Lam? I keep seeing people call it that, but don't see any mention of it on their site...

If I remember it's a bi-lam.

Nice to see you over here KS

If it's a bi-lam (I ask since my dry days are quickly approaching) Why does it hold up so well when folks complain about bi-lams separating so frequently? There are a lot of nex-gens out there and I've never heard of one coming apart yet... The one DS that I have laid my hands on was a nex-gen (Onfloat's) and it was a very heavy duty suit by the feel of it...

Aloha, Tim

Bought a Bare XCD2 Pro and love it. Fit was great. Just the boots it came with were better than my shoes with wool socks. BARE is made in a few places but the suit I bought was made in Vancouver BC Canada. Thing I liked is that BARE is a division of the FITZWRIGHT corporation who manufacture most of the Ocean Class survival suits used around the world. Good quality BDM zipper.

Like Jonnythan said go with fit and perhaps you and your husband may choose or need different suits.
Part of my purchase was also based on price. Gotta a good sale from Dan's dive shop in St Catherines Ontario Canada: Price was less than half that of a DUI suit of the same type but perhaps a bit better Quality.

Crushed neoprene is a DUI specialty and is actually 7mm crushed to 2mm. Bares hypercompressed is a 7 crushed to 4 and shaved to 2 so there is a bit of a difference. The rep said the suit would become a bit stiff after a few years but would last a long time. At less than 1/2 the cost I was willing to go for it! if a number of years from now things are different then I'll be all set!

There is more than one kind of bilam.

One is urethane coated nylon, like the Whites Nexus. This kind tends to separate, bubble, or crack over time.

Another is the Nex-Gen. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but it's not urethane coated nylon and I have yet to hear of one separating or cracking.

I have had my Nex-Gen for about 3+ years and have quite a few dives on it. It has held up great, but it definately is an entry level suit. Personally, if I only had the Bare or the DUI to choose from I'd go with the DUI...hands down! It's a much better suit and the fit on the stock is better as well as the features and the material is just a better form fitting material. On the other hand, if you have the option you should look into a Diving Concepts suit since they are also very nice...that's what I'm getting ready to buy. :)

Might want to be careful with the DC from what I am hearing. Might want to talk to Dan Gibson for more details.

crpntr133:
Might want to be careful with the DC from what I am hearing. Might want to talk to Dan Gibson for more details.

can you elaborate? I've been looking at them too. Their products seem quite nice. I too think DUI can get a bit expensive and I'm looking for something a bit cheaper (but don't want to sacrifice much on the quality side).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom