Ready to go dry - Bare vs DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure the TLSse does not have the telescoping torso. The TLSse is the "budget" version of the TLS350 and does not include the telescoping torso and is back-entry only.

I have a DUI TLS SE and I love it. I like the 7 years warranty also and the zip seals. The rock boots are also very comfortable and practical (but I think it has been copied by Bare now).

jonnythan:
I'm pretty sure the TLSse does not have the telescoping torso. The TLSse is the "budget" version of the TLS350 and does not include the telescoping torso and is back-entry only.

You are right about that. But since we are suppose to buddy dive, that's not a problem (back entry)

I just did a DUI test day last weekend & dove their CLX-450 crushed neophrene & the TLS-SE. I really liked the TLS-SE for mobility, but the CLX-450 is more what Im looking for. This was first time diving dry & will probably check out the Bare units as well as Andys Drysuits out of Maryland.
Good luck & let us know of your final decision & why.

Thanks for your responses everyone! I just love the knowledge and support on this board!
If you can tell by my 2 options, price is definitely a factor in this purchase, but that being said, I don't want to buy something cheaply made.
We dive wet now into temps starting in the high 50's (not for very long though!) and we just want to be able to get in some winter diving if the chance comes up...rec, but no tech or wreck. So the drysuit doesn't have to be the epitome of drysuit greatness, but I'd like it to be a reliable piece of equipment for an undecided amount of time.
Once again, I thank everyone, and I'll update you with my final decision!

Lisa J,
I was in the same quandry not too long ago.
I solicited infomation from those members of the board who had dived both types of suits, neoprene and shell suits.
Based on all the replies, and they are pretty well represented by the replies you've received, I purchased a Bare XCD2 "Tech" from Divetank.com.
It's a hyper-compressed neoprene suit. It's more durable than a shell suit, not as bulky and heavy as a neoprene suit but more so than a shell, has more of the insulating properties of the neoprene suit thereby requiring less thermal insulation, and it's lighter than a neoprene suit but heavier than a shell suit.

All things considered, I just felt that it is a good matrix of those characteristics that I wanted.

I'm very, very new to dry suit diving so please take my recommendation for it's infantile validity!

And the cost through Divetank.com was $1000 and some change.

The Bare has a wonderful array of "off the rack" sizes, also.

the K

Thanks K - It sounds like we were both looking for the same thing in the suit, and I will definitely look into that model. I haven't considered the compressed neoprene (thought it was too expensive!) but seeing this I will check it out!

Thanks for the info guys. I am still in the process (more or less) of buying a dry suit.
One thing that I REALLY like about the Bare suits is the fact that they have the "tall" sizes. Good to know that durability isn't an issue.

Personally I think that DUI is over priced. I am sure they have a good product but I don't think it is worth the $$.

Back
Top Bottom