Ready to go dry - Bare vs DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Bare Nex-Gen. It's durable, and works well. The only down side is that one can not get into it without a buddy, but then again, I always dive with a Buddy, so that is not much of an issue.

If price is a major factor, than the Bare is going to win out assuming it fits. If price were not object, I'd likely purchase a DUI. However the DUI was going to run at LEAST $1500, and I picked up an almost new BARE Nex-Gen with undergarments and rock boots for under $400. Sold the rock boots for $45 as they did not fit, so I'm in a drysuit for about $350 which is what a top end wetsuit runs.

Diving Dry is a real different experience. But it's the only way to go if you want to dive cold water.

I just got a Bare XCD2 Pro, and my buddy has a XCD2 Tech, Both are great suits, the material seems bulletproof (although a bit heavy). I'm quite happy with my Bare, and brand new with pockets & hood they run just around $1100. Divetank.com. Great service.

waynne fowler:
Skip the Bare.. go with DUI... WAYYYYY Better suit from fit to features.

Fit is fit... how is one better than another? Neither streach, so if the Bare fits differently than the off the rack DUI suits, then how can one be a better FIT as people are all different?

I'm not suggesting that DUI makes a bad suit, but it is a LOT more expensive. Why do you suggest the Bare is not so good? I have a nex-gen, it's dry, it fits, the valve works, the zipper seals, it's durable... what is left?

The Kraken:
Lisa J,
I was in the same quandry not too long ago.
I solicited infomation from those members of the board who had dived both types of suits, neoprene and shell suits.
Based on all the replies, and they are pretty well represented by the replies you've received, I purchased a Bare XCD2 "Tech" from Divetank.com.
It's a hyper-compressed neoprene suit. It's more durable than a shell suit, not as bulky and heavy as a neoprene suit but more so than a shell, has more of the insulating properties of the neoprene suit thereby requiring less thermal insulation, and it's lighter than a neoprene suit but heavier than a shell suit.

Not to mention bullet proof. It's also a good choice for wreck divers.

Got admit, Diver0001, that thing is stout !!!
I like that.

the K

When I was looking at drysuits I was in the same situation (DUI vs. Bare) and ended up getting the Bare ATR-HD. The Bare suit is built to last, is extremely durable, has WAY better rock boots than DUI and costs much less (I was looking into the clx450). Bare also has tons of off-the-shelf sizes so a custom cut suit may not be necessary.

Anyway, try both and get the one you like the most. DUI makes excellent drysuits... but so does Bare :)

Just remember, folks, price and quality are not always directionally proportional.
Now there is the presumption that just because something costs more it's an inherently superior product.

Maybe the stockholders of the higher priced unit just demand a higher dividend every year! :D

the K

dive2deep:
I just got a Bare XCD2 Pro, and my buddy has a XCD2 Tech, Both are great suits, the material seems bulletproof (although a bit heavy). I'm quite happy with my Bare, and brand new with pockets & hood they run just around $1100. Divetank.com. Great service.

I own the XCD2 Tech, and gosh do I love that suit! The more I use it, the more I like it, not to mention that in addition to being functional (as in well designed and no superfluous features) it's also a good looking suit (yeah, chicks dig it :D )

I tried a few other suits before settling for the BARE. Not only did I like the fit, I also like the way it was built (to quote the above paragraph, virtually bullet proof). It will serve me very well in the Northeast area. Whatever your choice, all that matters is that you're comfortable and happy. Cheers!

I own a Bare CD4 and love it. 90% of the people dive with have Bare drysuits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom