Read please before wasting your money on Olympus products...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds like a seroius charlie foxtrot

sorry you're going through this

<grins> I love my new olympus after going through 5-6-7 different nikon cool pix.

Bummer for you Wildcard, sounds like a Pain in the *****, but take a dive, take a deep breath, and have a nice day. Life is not over.

Bad deal Wildcard. I hate that for anyone and especially for myself.

However........ I had a better experience and a recent one.

Olympus PT-023 housing - 1. One of the the pins that holds the port in place broke off while I was putting the port back on. Broke under finger pressure just engaging the clips.

I sent it in for warranty repair. Couple of weeks go by and I get a letter saying not worth repairing and I can replace it for $200. I call. I'm told the report says it broke from impact damage. Not true may I speak to a supervisor. Supervisor quotes their report but listens to my stroy about how it happened. I asked politely if she would ask the technician will look again at the pin and how it broke out of the housing and I think it'll be obvious it didn't break from being dropped. She agreed to ask the technician to look again based on this new information.

3 days later she called back saying you're new housing is being shipped today under warranty.

So, my good luck I guess but I've found their service to be pretty good. Again sorry you had a bad experience.

I think it&#8217;s good to speak up when this sort of thing happens. Olympus has the right to implement whatever sort of customer service policy they see fit. Likewise, you have every right to publicly voice your opinion and experience. Hopefully, online forums such as this have given customer opinions a bit more weight they had in the past. Ultimately some companies might be forced to re-think the importance of customer service.

What comes around goes around.

Were you dealing with New York or California?

I sent my 5050 in for a recall to New York and had a very similar experience. I got the thing home and it had a new fuzzball on the lens. I sent it to California and had it back, good as new, in a flash. Something is very wrong with that New York bunch.

thanks Yoda that's good to know. I live pretty close to the CA location and I'll make sure to send it there if I run into problems.

Wildcard, Here's hoping you have your camera back in 7-10 days. They're lucky you haven't bought a plane ticket over there and kicked their ***es.

SeaYoda:
Were you dealing with New York or California?

I sent my 5050 in for a recall to New York and had a very similar experience. I got the thing home and it had a new fuzzball on the lens. I sent it to California and had it back, good as new, in a flash. Something is very wrong with that New York bunch.

If you're asking me... NY handled it. All Underwater stuff goes to NY.

Well I have been following this thread with my own issues dealing with Olympus.
See this thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=149788

However today I must say Olympus did stepped up and stood behind their product.
If you read the other thread you know I had a pt-015 housing go bad and felt it was a factory flaw. I sent the housing away expecting to get the "IMPACT DAMAGE" beyond economic repair line.

Bottom line
They sent me a BRAND NEW housing no charge
Looks like they still have stock or are making more of them for warranty.
The box has Japan markings all over it.

I did send a very detailed letter along with the damaged housing and had a case # before shipping and feel that may have helped.
I sent the old housing out on July 11 and got the new one today July 26.
In my book I could have not asked for or received better service.

PS: The New York repair center handeled this case

Nay:
thanks Yoda that's good to know. I live pretty close to the CA location and I'll make sure to send it there if I run into problems.

It may also be good to know that when I sent my housing and camera to CA, they shipped it to NY :wink: Going through CA caused additional wait time for my camera to be check out and declared damaged beyond repair(flooded in fresh springwater :wink: ).

I still like California better than New York. I got absolutely no run-around from them. Everything they said they would do, they did. I got nothing but static and finger pointing from the NY crew.

Back
Top Bottom