Reaching Greater Depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... in my early days of diving I had little desire to go deeper than 100 fsw. So much of what I wanted to see was well within that depth zone. 40+ years later I started diving deep (to 200 fsw on air) specifically to film critters at deeper depths. Today it is rare that I'll go deeper than 100 fsw again because I enjoy longer bottom times. I'd dive deep to explore and film an interesting reef or other geological structure, but I'm just as happy with a more shallow dive lasting 60-90 minutes.

There are a lot of people doing deep dives with relative safety. The OP asks how to prepare himself to do them.

First off, you have to understand what changes when you go deeper. Water is water; it feels the same and often looks the same, so what's different? You were taught in your OW that you use your gas faster at depth, but the changes are pretty remarkable. The tank that lasts an hour at the surface, lasts a half hour at 30 feet, 20 minutes at 60, and 15 minutes at 100, and 12 at 130. That's 12 minutes to EMPTY . . . it doesn't include an allowance for descent or ascent, keeping some gas in the tank, or having any reserve for a delay or an out of gas buddy. I would highly suggest studying some gas management (you can begin with the gas management article at nwgratefuldiver.com) before contemplating deep dives like this.

Second, nitrogen absorption begins to become a big issue at such depths. It's unlikely the typical recreational diver is going to go into deco on a 60 foot dive -- the small tanks and high gas consumption rates in such settings pretty much preclude it. But your no-deco time at 140 is very brief, and maybe shorter than your gas allowance. Once you have incurred a mandatory decompression obligation, you can no longer go to the surface in the event of a problem. Therefore, you should be comfortable managing all the typical malfunctions -- flooded masks, wet breathing regulators, freeflows, disconnected inflators, loose connections, etc. -- at depth, with composure and preserved buoyancy control and situational awareness, before you trap yourself underwater. For most people, it takes a fair amount of diving and some stress-scenario training before they are really competent with this.

I personally do not understand the drive for depth, as I don't have it. The majority of ocean life lies in the shallows, and diving there is less hazardous, as well as allowing much longer dive times (and why do we pay the money and haul ourselves to dive sites, if not to revel in being underwater?). But we all dive for different reasons, and if depth is your draw, prepare yourself properly for it. To me, a 140 foot dive should not be done on a single Al80 (go back to Bob's gas management piece), but is a totally acceptable dive if done with redundancy, an adequate gas reserve, a contingency plan for decompression, and solid diving skills.

There are a lot of people doing deep dives with relative safety. The OP asks how to prepare himself to do them.

Thank you so much for posting a straight-up, informative answer to the OP's question!

I, too, am new and have an interest in deeper diving. I have read about some wrecks I would like to see someday and some of them are at the limits of Rec diving. I had not thought all the way through the issues you raised about how long an AL80 will last at that depth. So, again, thank you!

I had not thought all the way through the issues you raised about how long an AL80 will last at that depth.
Just curious, this wasn't part of your recent OW class? Boyle's Law, gas consumption changes with depth?

Just curious, this wasn't part of your recent OW class? Boyle's Law, gas consumption changes with depth?

Yes, it was. When I said I had not thought it through, what I meant was that I had not run the numbers to figure out how long I might actually be able to stay down at 125 feet on an AL80 - and the specific numbers were not part of the class.

Yes, it was. When I said I had not thought it through, what I meant was that I had not run the numbers to figure out how long I might actually be able to stay down at 125 feet on an AL80 - and the specific numbers were not part of the class.

@125 using the tables - you would use 130ft.
So at 130 feet you have less than 11 mins of bottom time based on DSAT. Navy tables tell you 10 mins bottom time on air.
So at 130 feet for 10 mins bottom time with Descent of 60 feet a min and Ascent of 30 feet a min with a 3 min stop at 20ft.
With a SAC/RMV of .8 just picking it to be conservative.
On an AL80 - 77.4 cu ft of air - you will use 2310 cu ft and have 690 cu ft left when you surface.
That does not include any reserve, no emergencies, no sharing air... :D
So gas redundancy with those numbers appear to be in your best interest.

YMMV - I am not advocating a new diver attempt 130 ft dive.

Last edited:
YMMV - I am not advocating a new diver attempt 130 ft dive.

Personally, I'm certified to 60 feet and I probably won't even go that deep until a few dives under my belt. I definitely would not exceed 60 feet until I'm with an instructor, taking a class for deeper diving.

And thanks for the additional numbers. For me, right now, it's just good food for thought.

I am not advocating a new diver attempt 130 ft dive.
Heck, I'm not a particularly "new" diver anymore, and I'm not going to 130ft, even on a 10L 300 bar tank (which holds about 25% more gas than an Al80). One thing is the gas reserves, another is the nark. Two pretty effing good reasons to stay shallower, IMNSHO.

Heck, I'm not a particularly "new" diver anymore, and I'm not going to 130ft, even on a 10L 300 bar tank (which holds about 25% more gas than an Al80). One thing is the gas reserves, another is the nark. Two pretty effing good reasons to stay shallower, IMNSHO.

I talked to my OW instructor about doing Deep certification with him, eventually. He told me the minimum is 2 dives, but he requires 3. And for the third, he would take me down to 130 and have me stay down right up to the NDL. That way, if I'm going to get narked, I will most likely do it when I'm with him, I'll learn what it feels like, and he can make sure I get out okay.

I like that a lot better than another instructor I talked to who only does the 2 dives required and even the second one doesn't go deeper than 95 feet ('cause that's the bottom of the local quarry). When I mentioned something about thinking that SDI standards say that the student is actually only certified to the depth they trained at, so if I did it with him, I would only be technically supposed to go to 95, he said something that boiled down to "really? I'll have to go back and read the instructor materials to confirm that."

We don't take our students below 100 feet, ever. And we don't go there ourselves. It is our firm belief that the degree of impairment below that on air or Nitrox is sufficient that such dives are not reliably safe. I know what my cognitive performance is at 100 feet on Nitrox, and I certainly don't want to be any worse than that. There are good tools to mitigate that risk, and it's not at all difficult to get the training to use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom