Re-sorting photos in Vista ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings -

The dilemma ... just came back from a trip during which I used two different cameras. One had the correct date, one was set to 2002 (borrowed). Sorted through 1200 combined shots to get 150 I want to put on a CD ... in an order of my choosing.

In XP, I could manually pull the pictures around, find a good arrangement, Select All, and renumber them. When I try it in Vista, they inevitably rearrange themselves in a pattern I cannot figure out. It's not Date Taken.

So ... how can I rearrange these shots and get them to STAY THERE when I burn them to a CD? I know I can go through them in PS Elements and re-date them, but is there a quicker way in Vista?

Thanks!

Renumber them? You mean 'rename'? I assume that's what you mean and that you were then sorting them by 'file name' rather than another attribute.

If so - order them how you want them, right click on the first one, select 'Rename', change the file name to whatever you want, then instead of hitting 'Enter' hit 'Tab' and it will automatically select the next file and highlight it for renaming.

This will put these particular pics in whatever order you want them so long as you are sorting based on 'file name' - you may have to segregate these pics into their own folder from your others depending on what attribute you are using to sort the rest of your photos - ie file name vs. date created, etc.

Adobe Photoshop Elements.

N

Well yeah, rename, not renumber. Actually since my OP, my Google search says you cannot do in either Vista or W7 what you could do in XP, which is thoroughly ridiculous. I've already moved these "keepers" to a separate folder, but I'm not excited about doing "rename, tab, repeat" 150 times. Is there anyone who uses Elements who can steer me to a nice quick solution to rename sequentially?

Well yeah, rename, not renumber. Actually since my OP, my Google search says you cannot do in either Vista or W7 what you could do in XP, which is thoroughly ridiculous. I've already moved these "keepers" to a separate folder, but I'm not excited about doing "rename, tab, repeat" 150 times. Is there anyone who uses Elements who can steer me to a nice quick solution to rename sequentially?

Use a keyword tag in Elements.

If you have Photoshop Elements or CS4 you first need to import them into the program, Get Photos button. Once they are imported you can categorize them, tag them, name them, change dates, create albums etc. Elements works the same in XP, Vista and 7 for the most part.

N

I have Vista and PS Elements 5.0.

If I understand your situation, here're a few options:

Open PS Organizer. Highlight all the relevant pics. If time/date is truly the issue, right click on a highlited pic and select "Adjust Date & Time of Selected Items" or hit Ctl-J. You'll see some options, but you can change them all to one date and time if that will solve your problem.

Alternative is to go to File - Rename and rename them in one big batch.

You can also rename in Vista by opening the folder and highlighting them, then right clicking and selecting Rename. It will rename all the pics with a "(*)" after pics #2 through whatever.

Not sure if that solves your problem, but hopefully it helps?

So you are using Vista but what program is Vista using to view the photos? Have you tried View - Sort by ?
I would highly recommend Lightroom - you can catalog them, keyword them, arrange them by rating and export to about any format and I would venture a guess that it would take you half the time.

Greetings -

The dilemma ... just came back from a trip during which I used two different cameras. One had the correct date, one was set to 2002 (borrowed). Sorted through 1200 combined shots to get 150 I want to put on a CD ... in an order of my choosing.

In XP, I could manually pull the pictures around, find a good arrangement, Select All, and renumber them. When I try it in Vista, they inevitably rearrange themselves in a pattern I cannot figure out. It's not Date Taken.

So ... how can I rearrange these shots and get them to STAY THERE when I burn them to a CD? I know I can go through them in PS Elements and re-date them, but is there a quicker way in Vista?

Thanks!

So you are using Vista but what program is Vista using to view the photos? Have you tried View - Sort by ?
I would highly recommend Lightroom - you can catalog them, keyword them, arrange them by rating and export to about any format and I would venture a guess that it would take you half the time.

I think he just has them stored in a folder under the My Documents/Owner. If so he needs to get a photo program like Elements or any of several others that are similar or upload them to an online sharing service like Photobucket. Elements is often included free with scanners, printers etc. I think it (Elements 8.0) may also be on sale now for 60 dollars at Office Max and there may be a rebate as well.

N

The problem is that they were shot with two different cameras ... one mine, set to the correct date, one borrowed, which was set to 2002 ... go figure. I want the program to ignore the date so I can manually rearrange the photos then number them sequentially. So far all my efforts in Vista have failed, both in Photo Gallery (useless, why did MS add it?), or just going straight to "Pictures" and opening the folder. Stupidest (well, one of the many stupidest) thing MS has done, not carrying the ability to do this over from XP into Vista and W7.

And even if I make them all the same time/date in PS Elements (done), how do I manually rearrange them there? They're all in one album, but how do I "unlock" them so I can drag and drop, then lock in that new sequence to burn a CD?

I think he just has them stored in a folder under the My Documents. If so he needs to get a photo program like Elements or any of several others that or similar or upload them to an online sharing service like Photobucket. Elements is often included free with scanners, printers etc. I think it (Elements 8.0) may also be on sale now for 60 dollars at Office Max and there may be a rebate as well. N

I have PS Elements 6 (see OP) ... came bundled with my laptop, so I loaded it onto the desktop for the big screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom