re: Best Valve for Single Cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are an instructor or have a friend who is an instructor, Divers supply sells the manifolds for cheap if said instructor fills out the instructor referral paperwork. I buy them for myself and friends.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

Monterey is one of my favorite dives. Do you know the specific dates of the DIR-F course, I could stay with family in the bay area for a week - and be available to take the class.

The class was originally suppose to be last month but got cancelled.If i remember right he got called out of town on bussiness or something.I talked to manta ray last weekend and they think it will be held sometime in JAN.Keep checking the BAUE site or mantaray.You can also email David Chamberlin at mixdiver@baue.org to let him know your interrested.The baue site has a description of the course and gear requirement along with the cost.

Divesherpa once bubbled...
If you are an instructor or have a friend who is an instructor, Divers supply sells the manifolds for cheap if said instructor fills out the instructor referral paperwork. I buy them for myself and friends.

Uhm... hi buddy!! Can i be your friend :wink:.It never hurts to try....lol. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
What I mean by "I don't agree" is that I don't share the same opinion as you on this subject... but I still love ya :D
Let me put my question another way. What possible operational or safety or "real" difference is there in the number of tanks in which you have your gas supply? If you have 500CF in a single tank with an "H" valve, or 50CF in manifolded doubles (or triples, for that matter) what in the world is the practical difference upon which you base your objection to the single tank? Is this just an emotional thing? Do you have some statistical data to back up some deficiency in the single tank with "H" valve vs the manifolded doubles? I don't think so. And there are lots of practical reasons, especially when diving from small boats, why handling a single is easier and safer than trying to mess with doubles when you don't need the extra gas for the dive plan. If you have some justification beyond preference in not using a single with an "H" valve when you have plenty of gas for the planned dive in the single tank, please build the case. I for one would like to hear it.
Thanks.
Love,
Rick

The issue with a single tank and "H" valve is that you do not have a truly-redundant gas supply. You can (yes, I know its a VERY unlikely event) lose the tank neck O-ring and neither of your regs will be usable.

Believing you have a redundant system when you do not is a bad idea. First don't fail catastrophically at a rate that is statistically significant. If you are covering the "one in a million" failure, then you need to be careful to insure that you're REALLY covering it, otherwise you're buying false security.

The "H" valve protects an extremely unlikely failure but leaves another extremely unlikely failure unprotected. That makes no sense to me.

when we dive off our own boats. :)

(What kind of idiocy would ban a type of TANK configuration?! That's beyond stupid.)

has the Sea Elite manifolds at any time available for ~$160, in either 200 or 300 bar (choose - no difference in price)

Be careful with eBAY on these - you can often end up paying more in an "auction" than you'd pay just buying the darn things!

Genesis once bubbled...
when we dive off our own boats. :)

(What kind of idiocy would ban a type of TANK configuration?! That's beyond stupid.)

The type of places that are trying to protect under trained people from getting into dangerous places.
The same places that have had over 400 deaths, nearly all undertrained people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom