re: Best Valve for Single Cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I'll take your advice, and if I can ever get into a DIR rig I'll get a chance to see the advantages of the long hose.

I think the long hose is great.I recently converted to a dir setup about 6mos ago.I should be taking DIRF real soon as im just waiting for them to decide when to give the class.Its suppose to be dec/jan time frame.

I was real skeptical about the whole DIR thing at first.The more i read and learned about it, the more sense it made.With lots of help from Pug(thanks pug for answering my zillion pm's on dir diving and equipment) i am fully diving dir and enjoying it.Everything just fits so nicely and has its own little out of the way spot.

Now i just have to get my wife to do the same which isnt gonna be easy :D .She basically doesnt give a crap about a long hose or dir gear configuration.....lol.She just wants to dive.She is a very safe diver and has good equipment but i just cant talk her into that long hose or a bungeed back up reg.

lal7176 once bubbled...
She basically doesnt give a crap about a long hose or dir gear configuration.....lol.She just wants to dive.She is a very safe diver and has good equipment but i just cant talk her into that long hose or a bungeed back up reg.

I'm certain from so many discussions with real basic recreational divers, they just don't feel comfortable with anything attached to tech diving. DIR has those earmarks, though I'll admit they make a great case for experienced divers to try it out and if they like it perhaps switch - equipment and technique anyways. The organic thing and your body is a temple thing (just kidding) is too much. I believe in excercise and diet, I just think that part as an enforced piece and the enforced attitude thing is too much. The rest is pretty sound advice - IMO from what I've read and heard so far. I'm interested enough to seek out the DIR-F class. Actually, I'd like to take it from MHK from FifthD who lives down here in So Cal. Or so I've heard?

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I'm not so sure I like the idea of having extra weight up there. And I'm not so sure that it is really easier to take two regs off my doubles and then put them on a single and then take them off the single to change it out for the second dive. I think that just switching two hoses once has the advantage there.

TIP: if you are drysuit diving then use the left post first stage and switch the long hose and wing inflator hose over to that one.

You could be on to something :D maybe ill just save the money and put it towards a set of doubles instead of the y valves.It was something i was kicking around and seemed like a good idea at the time.

While were on the subject what do you think of sea elite valves and manifolds.Divers supply is selling the 300 bar valve and maniflod set on ebay for what seems a decent price.I have seen some go for 120.00.I know halcyon would be the hot ticket but man they are expensive.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I'm certain from so many discussions with real basic recreational divers, they just don't feel comfortable with anything attached to tech diving. DIR has those earmarks, though I'll admit they make a great case for experienced divers to try it out and if they like it perhaps switch - equipment and technique anyways. The organic thing and your body is a temple thing (just kidding) is too much. I believe in excercise and diet, I just think that part as an enforced piece and the enforced attitude thing is too much. The rest is pretty sound advice - IMO from what I've read and heard so far. I'm interested enough to seek out the DIR-F class. Actually, I'd like to take it from MHK from FifthD who lives down here in So Cal. Or so I've heard?

This is probably way to far for you but Manta ray in Monterey will be having a class soon.You can check this website for some really good info on dir and the classes are given through manta ray http://www.baue.org

lal7176 once bubbled...
I have seen some go for 120.00.
No kidding.... I "need" to get another one then... I believe in redundancy in the parts bin :D

The SeaElite that I have is identical to my Halcyon. Shane and I each bought a 300bar SeaElite with a set of plugs for the crossover ports ($9 each) and we use them in our singles... when we need an extra set of doubles we have the crossovers in the drawer and the bands on the shelf. Doesn't take much to put them together as doubles.

she needs to see the reason why... and that is what the DIRf is all about.

BTW... you are welcome. :wink:

She refuses to stray away from how we were originally trained.I tried to explain the advantages to her with no luck.She thinks it looks dorky...lol.She also thinks im obsessed with scuba and this dir thing.Who'd figure :bonk:

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

---------------------
What do you mean you don't agree with single tanks in an overhead environment? I truly don't understand the objection. Single with "H" valve and manifolded doubles are no different except for the amount of gas in the system at the beginning of the dive.

Not totally correct

A single 104 at 2000 psi has as much gas as double 80's at 1500 psi - are you saying there's a difference?

Yes, there is a very big difference. Ever heard of burst disks? neck O-rings? etc..?

NSS/CDS, NACD and TDI do not agree with you, by the way; all allow - indeed encourage - training to conduct cave dives with single tanks as well as doubles.

Everyone makes mistakes
:bonk: :bonk:

Do you cave dive in singles?

Cheers and safe diving

lal7176 once bubbled...
This is probably way to far for you but Manta ray in Monterey will be having a class soon.You can check this website for some really good info on dir and the classes are given through manta ray http://www.baue.org

Monterey is one of my favorite dives. Do you know the specific dates of the DIR-F course, I could stay with family in the bay area for a week - and be available to take the class.

No kidding.... I "need" to get another one then... I believe in redundancy in the parts bin :D

The SeaElite that I have is identical to my Halcyon. Shane and I each bought a 300bar SeaElite with a set of plugs for the crossover ports ($9 each) and we use them in our singles... when we need an extra set of doubles we have the crossovers in the drawer and the bands on the shelf. Doesn't take much to put them together as doubles.

I have seen them either set the reserve at 120.00 or start the auction at 120.00 with no reserve.The set that is on there now is currently at 144.00.I have seen plenty of them go with no bids.Now that i want a set everyone will start bidding on them :( .I have been watching them for a few months now.They usually have the 200 bar version listed also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom