re: Best Valve for Single Cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lal7176 once bubbled...

Its about redundancy.]

No arguments here.......I'm all for redundancy.......but...........
you can have as many redundant first stages as you like, but they aren't worth much if they all lead back to one empty cylinder.

Like multi engine aircraft.....that second fan ain't worth a damn if all the fuel has gone overboard.

As long as I'm diving singles......make mine a pony!

best regards....jbm

I Totally agree with Rick.

The Dive-Rite system is a good option.

I bought a DIN Left and a DIN Right for my Al 80's. put the plugs in and used them both as singles.
When it was time to start using doubles, I just bought the center piece. and had a ready to go set, that could be used as singles again in a matter of minutes.
I could also have bought a H adapter as well and had any combination.

Call them up, they are very helpfull.

Its by far a cheaper option that the Y valve, which is a specific "one time use" item.

http://www.dive-rite.com/products/gas/std_valv.htm

Dave

SPEEDSTER once bubbled...

WHAT?!?

I can't believe you actually subscribe to that ideology

Hundreds of thousands of dives are done every day without H valves or bp/wings. IMO H valves are ridiculous. If you're in a situation where you feel you need an H valve, you should be diving doubles. And doubles are NOT the same as having a pony BTW.
Also, the Buddy BC appears to be a very quality product that has served the Brits for many years Perhaps YOU should broaden your thinking instead of slamming pescador for what are very reasonable remarks.

Phil

jbm once bubbled...
lal7176 once bubbled...

Its about redundancy.]

No arguments here.......I'm all for redundancy.......but...........
you can have as many redundant first stages as you like, but they aren't worth much if they all lead back to one empty cylinder.

Like multi engine aircraft.....that second fan ain't worth a damn if all the fuel has gone overboard.

As long as I'm diving singles......make mine a pony!

best regards....jbm

Thats why you train to be efficent in shutting down your valves.If you are efficient in shutting down that valve you will not have an empty tank.This is also the same case with doubles.If you dont shut down the affected circuit you will also lose all your air,just takes a little longer for all the air to escape.Its all about how you train and manage the problem.

If you prefer to lug a pony around thats up to you.I prefer a good buddy myself and dont need to rely on a pony.I used to carry a 13cuft pony on a quick draw bracket.I used it about two times.It will be going on ebay shortly as i just prefer not to use it especially considering a 13cuft tank isnt gonna do much good at 100ft .Instead i concentrate on good buddy skills and will use a Y valve or H valve.

Im not gonna go into a big pony bottle debate as it has been beaten to death.I have tried it and dont care for it.If i ever do decide for some reason to goto a pony ill just go to manifolded doubles or rig a 40cuft tank as a stage.

I also forgot to mention that one of the reasons i want to goto a y or h valve is that hopefully i will be diving doubles shortly and would like to keep the same reg set up to go from doubles to singles without having to change change all my hoses and regs to go from double tanks to single tanks.Keeps everything standard.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Single tank diving should be kept well within recreational parameters
Why?
Let me give you a specific example where we use single tanks with "H" valves - spearfishing in 130'. Short dives, so there's plenty of gas in a single tank, but below the safe CESA depth - and since we're spearing we are not so unrealistic as to believe we can always maintain buddy integrity. Therefore redundancy is dictated, but not more gas. Doubles are neither required nor desired for these dives - they would be a major pain in the boats we use.
Another specific example - any single tank cave dive.
Rick

Any Cavern Course requires dual orifice (Y or H) valve tank (71.2 CF minimum). Two (2) single hose regulators, one with a 7ft. hose, SPG, octopus second stage and power inflator for BC

You can use a single tank.

Right or wrong, thems the rules.

Dave

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
spearfishing in 130'. Short dives, so there's plenty of gas in a single tank, but below the safe CESA depth

Another specific example - any single tank cave dive.
In what way is 130' recreational dive too deep for a CESA using a single tank with single regulator set up? (I don't want to get into why I think 130' spearfishing is a really a 150' dive.)

I don't agree with single tanks in an overhead environment.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Third, if you need a redundant air source neither ponies nor spare airs are sufficient IMO. The way to go is a proper set of doubles.

IMO - I disagree with the idea that a pony is insufficient as a redundant air source in recreational diving for several reasons.

1. Of all the stories I've heard in recreational scuba about switching to redundant air it was simply a matter of needing enough air to reach the surface - to buy a few minutes. Most pony bottles buy you this plus much more. (Clearly more gas is required for technical diving and overhead environments).

2. Heavy. Requiring other special compensations, including possibly more lift than standard recreational jacket style bc's may offer. Or assistance might be required getting into or out of a boat if you are not strong enough for this much weight, as could be the case with some out of shape men and many women divers. Transporting between auto and boat or beach. Harder on spine and body.

3. More expensive, including special valves, and other special rig accomodations dual tank bands, bp, possibly wings.

4. Special equipment, valves, etc - involve more technical training.

5. Larger profile. More difficult to manage for newer divers. More difficult in smaller spaces - such as the trunk of a car.

Now I know there will be disagreement with this post, because many of the DIR and GUE folks do plenty of rec diving on their rigs. And these individuals wish all divers would learn their methods and own their equipment. But the general industry has not adopted this format or equipment. Though change is a good thing, for the reasons I mentioned above, adoption is a long way off if ever. And from my personal experience technical rigs scare away newcomers to diving. I personally think tech is cool, but have also spoke with hundreds of new divers, and I understand their reservations.

In my opinion a recreational diver should have a redundant air source ... but a pony bottle is sufficient for this purpose. And I also agree that twins and tech rigs have a solid place in recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom