Rawlings temperature @ now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone make it out the past two weekends?

I've been out there during the week. Its warming up nicely above the rock wall....its a little slow to warm up deeper....well above 60 on the surface and averaging 52 down deeper.

Great videos... I checked out the "Diving from small boat" video too. Quality is good enough to make me want to use them when training students. Especially the Rawlings one since that's in my neck of the woods.

anyone been out there is the last week?

I was out at Rawlings today, 23May, doing my Diver Stress and Rescue course. Checking my computer it had the surface temp at 69 degrees (it was sunny and warm when we got there). After we finished training drills; we dove the plane, bus and two boats near the plane. My max depth was 57 feet and the temp was 48 degrees. We were between all the OW classes so there was NO ONE on the wrecks except us. Made for a good first dive out at Lake Rawlings (yes, been living here in Virginia for what seems like to long, but it was the first time out to Lake Rawlings). Didn't get to dive all the sites, but that leaves an excuse to go dive another day.

Hey Ted, I'm glad to see you finally got to Rawlings. Great place to train. I was there on Friday and dove my double 80's for the first time with my drysuit. I had a set of double AL63's which I broke up and switched over to the 80's. The dive we did together on the U-352 ended far too quickly, with me on an 80 single, and I want to ensure next time I eek out every second of bottom time when I dive on something that cool. So, I put together a pair of 80's I had, and took them for a swim. Very stable, a bit heavy on land but surprisingly easy to dive in the water. I can see I am starting down the slippery slope to tech diving, with a deco course in my future at some point. I might as well, as I have the tanks, drysuit, drygloves, etc. I was a bit cold at depth, my computer read 48 degrees, and I was light on the undergarments as I didn't want to overheat on the surface. I saw the newest attraction, the Miss Laurie, a surprisingly large cabin crusier just on the bottom for 48 hours when I showed up. No bouy, but Kevin told me where to find it. My guess is the boat is at least 50 feet long. I didn't think they could get a boat that big to Rawlings, but there it was.

I'm scheduled to dive in San Diego a week from today. Will let you know how that goes.

Rob

Rob,

I dove in my dry suit as well (no surprise with the reports listing the bottom temp) but had 3mm gloves and 5/3 hood. When we got to the plane I was thinking that a dry hood/gloves might be a good idea or at least a little thicker. I also had my lighter undergarments on. With the sun beating down I was getting hot suiting up, but once in the water it was nice. The divers unlimited group is starting to know me as the dry suit diver and I am getting the comments, but still I am not the one getting cold first and coming up to the surface. I will have to go back to see the Miss Laurie.

Have a good trip out to San Diego and a great dive.

Ted

Yeah the new boat is rather large for that lake. We were out there Thursday and got recruited to help Keven swing the bow off of the rock pile and onto the sand. Took 1250lbs of lift bags and 2 dives(only brought 600lbs of bags out the first dive). Its out there a bit but not too hard to find if you can stay on course.

Back
Top Bottom