Raw issues with CS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DWJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently upgraded to CS2 and was working with Nikon Raw. All's Good. But I had to go back and deal with a couple of images that were in olympus raw. again, all's good. Now, when I went back to the NEF format, CS2 raw wouldn't open them. It will still open the Oly raw okay but CS2 seems to have forgotten what NEF is all about. Anyone have any ideas???

Dave

don't know if you've already done it but when i first got CS2 and my D50 i needed to download a special raw patch for it to recognize NEF

good luck

DWJ:
I recently upgraded to CS2 and was working with Nikon Raw. All's Good. But I had to go back and deal with a couple of images that were in olympus raw. again, all's good. Now, when I went back to the NEF format, CS2 raw wouldn't open them. It will still open the Oly raw okay but CS2 seems to have forgotten what NEF is all about. Anyone have any ideas???

Dave

You need to be more specific. NEF is not NEF :D Different camera models have different NEF formats. However given what you have said, as it opened NEF's the first time around, it seems like something may have become corrupted.

So are the NEF's you are trying to open an original copy from the camera?

Have you opened and closed the program, and received the same error?

RU trying to open the same NEF's, and have you tried opening different NEF's that you have not edited?

Did you make the mistake of saving over your originals?

What I'm driving at is that it sounds like their is either an issue with the NEF files, or the Plugin, and you need to make sure you determine which it may be. If it's the NEF's, you may have corrupted those, and they will be difficult to restore if you overwrote the originals.

If it's the Plugin you should download the latest Adobe plugin. This may fix whatever got screwed up, and it supports a lot of the newer camera models like the D200, 5D, and many of the latest PnS's.

If downloading the latest plugin does not fix it, then you may want to find the plugin that contains your camera, and download that, and then follow up with the latest plugin.

If all else fails, call Adobe Customer support. I assume you are a registered user?

RonFrank:
You need to be more specific. NEF is not NEF :D Different camera models have different NEF formats. However given what you have said, as it opened NEF's the first time around, it seems like something may have become corrupted.

So are the NEF's you are trying to open an original copy from the camera??

Yep, fresh off the card. Even went back to reopen older images just to make sure a camera setting in the D70s was not the issue.

RonFrank:
Have you opened and closed the program, and received the same error?

Yea, No joy here

RonFrank:
Did you make the mistake of saving over your originals?

No, like most I learned that lesson the hard way. workflow now prevents that little gaffe. But it's still a good question because sometimes it really is just that simple.

RonFrank:
If all else fails, call Adobe Customer support. I assume you are a registered user?

You assume correctly.

Strangely, the NEF images are displayed in adobe bridge but they simply won't open in
CS2. or rather the adobe raw won't open.

My hypothisis is that the OLY raw may have either changed a default setting or as you stated, corrupted the plugin. I'll try your advice and download the plugin from the site and see if that works out.

Thanks

Dave

That did it. My NEF's now open. I also found this little gem on the install instructions.

Note: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, please follow these steps:

1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in Step 6 above.
2. Start Adobe Bridge.
3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.

Thanks

Dave

Other options for RAW conversion are RAWShooter and Capture One. Both support Nikon and Canon but only C1 supports Fuji. these may not support the consumer RAW formats like the OLY.

anyway, these converters are far superior to the built-in CS2 converter due to ease of use and more options. C1 being the better of the two.

Back
Top Bottom