Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another quick question since y'all have been so helpful: my current computer is a Mares Puck Pro+, so would the iX3M2 Pro algorithm would be more or less conservative than the Mares (assuming RGBM) algorithm?
It would be hard to know for sure since RGBM and its various implementations are proprietary. But likely there are settings on each computer that match fairly closely.

Since I'm not a fan of the bubble models (they are good, but I think the modern Haldane models are better), you should probably rely on someone else for the answer to this.

Maybe @scubadada or @BoltSnap can give a definitive answer?

I bought my Ratio iX3M Tech+ circa 2017 (version 1) and I already had Suunto Vyper Air (with RGBM) also at the time. Although my memory is rather foggy since it has been so long since I compared them, here is what I remember based on wearing both computers at the same time u/w:

1. The Ratio is generally more liberal than the Suunto (RGBM) but with adjustment of the GF's, can be made to be more conservative. If you get the iX3M Pro v2 (without custom GF), it will still be more liberal than any RGBM dive computer at its default settings (most liberal) but can be made more conservative by adjusting the conservatism factor. Ratio's computer offers you more flexibility and options the RGBM doesn't.

2. Suunto RGBM dive computer becomes even more conservative as you do more dives and more days of diving. I did a liveaboard with 4 dives a day a while back and by the time I got to the 3rd day, the Suunto has requiring me to do a deco stop for every dive.

In short, Ratio's dive computers can be set to be considerably more liberal than the RGBM in Suunto (and Mares) and can be made to be more conservative also. The Ratio is a more versatile and flexible dive computer in a broader sense than the Suunto RGBM dive computer.

Now I don't use the Suunto with its RGBM at all. I have it as a spare that I haven't used at all for few years. I use it as a loaner to my students. I got a Scubapro A2 a year ago that I use with the Ratio. The Scubapro A2 is somewhere between the Ratio and the Suunto in terms of conservatism without the annoying lockouts of the Suunto. I wouldn't buy the A2 again since the battery is dealer replaceable and not user replaceable.

NOTE: the Scubapro A2 is a watch/dive computer that you can wear all day long as a watch.

I hope this answers your question. I know that I don't have more specifics but this is all that I remember now :)

I bought my Ratio iX3M Tech+ circa 2017 (version 1) and I already had Suunto Vyper Air (with RGBM) also at the time. Although my memory is rather foggy since it has been so long since I compared them, here is what I remember based on wearing both computers at the same time u/w:

1. The Ratio is generally more liberal than the Suunto (RGBM) but with adjustment of the GF's, can be made to be more conservative. If you get the iX3M Pro v2 (without custom GF), it will still be more liberal than any RGBM dive computer at its default settings (most liberal) but can be made more conservative by adjusting the conservatism factor. Ratio's computer offers you more flexibility and options the RGBM doesn't.

2. Suunto RGBM dive computer becomes even more conservative as you do more dives and more days of diving. I did a liveaboard with 4 dives a day a while back and by the time I got to the 3rd day, the Suunto has requiring me to do a deco stop for every dive.

In short, Ratio's dive computers can be set to be considerably more liberal than the RGBM in Suunto (and Mares) and can be made to be more conservative also. The Ratio is a more versatile and flexible dive computer in a broader sense than the Suunto RGBM dive computer.

Now I don't use the Suunto with its RGBM at all. I have it as a spare that I haven't used at all for few years. I use it as a loaner to my students. I got a Scubapro A2 a year ago that I use with the Ratio. The Scubapro A2 is somewhere between the Ratio and the Suunto in terms of conservatism without the annoying lockouts of the Suunto. I wouldn't buy the A2 again since the battery is dealer replaceable and not user replaceable.

NOTE: the Scubapro A2 is a watch/dive computer that you can wear all day long as a watch.

I hope this answers your question. I know that I don't have more specifics but this is all that I remember now :)
That's helpful, thanks!

I have used the Ratio Idive colour which uses the same software as the Ratio IX3M more or less just in a smaller watch form factor, along side an older Mares M2 very recently. The ratio just give significantly more options.
An example I did two 20m dives, first dive was for 40 odd minutes, and half way through the second dive the Mares is starting to get close to deco, to the point you would need to raise to 15 meters or more to retain NDL. The ratio was already configured to be slightly more conservative (don't recall the exact settings).
Whilst the Mares M2 has served me well for a decade, their calculations are just so stiff compared to the Ratios. I'm not technical minded so Ill leave my experience as simple as possible.

I might pull the trigger on this one (pro) for my lady. She’s eyeing the (slightly) deeper parts of the ocean and the oh so newly freakishly expensive helium (should have stolen some at work…). I don’t see any great alternative for the price. She is outgrowing her mares fast (dude almost ask for 100 to change the battery on that), the Luna 2.0 maybe but I like the evolution possibilities with that one and can’t poney up much more than 600 for the birthday.

I'm still thinking about it also. I'd like to know a little more about it still:

1. Compass function -- this is one of my big motivators to upgrade computers. I've seen some comments about liking the compass, but from photos I've seen it looks like perhaps other info does not show on the screen when in compass mode. I'd like to know if other data, especially NDL time, current depth, and safety stop timer can show while using the compass?

2. Safety stop -- speaking of safety stops, other comments I've seen make it sound like the safety stop timer only shows minutes, not seconds. Though kind of a little thing, I'm also wondering how annoying it would be over time. Honestly, I'm wondering if it would tick me off during every safety stop. If this issue is correct, this is just a weird issue to have when the screen is certainly big enough to show the minutes and seconds.

1. Compass function -- this is one of my big motivators to upgrade computers. I've seen some comments about liking the compass, but from photos I've seen it looks like perhaps other info does not show on the screen when in compass mode. I'd like to know if other data, especially NDL time, current depth, and safety stop timer can show while using the compass?

1671313960324.png

1671313991208.png

2. Safety stop -- speaking of safety stops, other comments I've seen make it sound like the safety stop timer only shows minutes, not seconds. Though kind of a little thing, I'm also wondering how annoying it would be over time. Honestly, I'm wondering if it would tick me off during every safety stop. If this issue is correct, this is just a weird issue to have when the screen is certainly big enough to show the minutes and seconds.

Here is a copy of the manual, you can find out for yourself. If you can't find the answer to your questions in the manual, send an email to Ratio with your questions and they will get back to you within 24-48 hours.

Attachments

• EN_iX3M2.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 59
Now I found the iX3M pro easy 100€ (A bit over 100$) less than the 2 pro. @BoltSnap what would you do?

Now I found the iX3M pro easy 100€ (A bit over 100$) less than the 2 pro. @BoltSnap what would you do?

I'd get the 2 without question myself. $100 is nothing. I'd skip a couple of meals if I have to if $100 is an issue 🤠

Haha my problem is how much she’ll complain about the price 😅 all psychology, 549 looks so much better than 649 apparently.

I scoured the user manual and I can’t see much difference outside of the lsk? I think I’ll get her the 2 but I’m curious

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom