Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

o I must remember to sync the wireless air transmitter to the computer right after opening the valve otherwise they won't talk.

If this is required each time, it is a Major Disadvantage as compared to other AI computers.

No, you don't have to synchronize them everytime. Once synchronized, they are "mated."

Good to Know! I was shocked when I first read that, I couldn't imagine Ratio doing it that way.
Validation of information prior to making a dramatic post is a good idea and increases credibility.

Validation of information prior to making a dramatic post is a good idea and increases credibility.
My post was based on the report of an actual owner/user of the computer in question, and I qualified it with "if" because it was so surprising even with a first hand report.

@BoltSnap almost has me convince to buy one, but I'm still waiting for a few more reports from early adopters.

On the Ratio iColor watch, the pressure show up on the watch after a while if you have it in Dive mode. Not as soon as you turn it on.

Everytime I've used it, the air reading on the watch is available on the surface before I descend, and I just let the watch auto activate when it's under water.

I stressed a bit the 2nd time I dived it because it didn't immediately show up when I turned on the tank, but in practice, it just works when you need it.

Same as the watch, the info you need always seems to be on the watch when you need it, such as the safety stop info.

Again guys don't use me as gospel. I'm very new to this AI stuff, and I did state I was still learning. BTW I changed the communication channel and they are talking together again.

I don't fully understand Ratio's philosophy regarding deco algorithms.

The iX3M 2 Pro model runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with 6 presets, 93/93, 90/90, 80/80, 75/75, 50/85, and 45/80. The first four were carried over from previous models, the last two were revised from 30/90 and 20/89. I could never figure out why they chose a maximum GF high of 93 except for the fact that prior models ran Buhlmann ZH-L16B, which is a liitle more liberal than C, I believe it is aimed at tables rather than computers. Though not what I would choose, I'm sure I could make the Pro model work for my diving.

The Deep model runs 3 versions of Buhlmann, ZH-L16C, ZH-L16B, and ZH-L12. I simply do not know why the latter 2 versions might be chosen. They offer the same 6 presets as the Pro, no custom GFs. The Deep model also offers VPM-B with 6 presets.

The Tech+ model offers all the deco algorithms as the Deep, but also offers custom GFs and custom critical bubble radius.

My diving is mostly no-stop with a little bit of light deco, most less than 10 min, all less than 15 min. All I need is ZH-L16C with custom GFs. I use SurfGF frequently to time my safety stop or deco stop in order to surface with the GF I choose.

I would be glad to hear why someone might also want to run ZH-L16B or ZH-L12. I suppose there are divers running VPM-B. I use Multi-Deco, it supports ZH-L16C, ZH-L16B, and VPM-B
This is the reply I received after asking Ratio about Buhlmann ZH-L12:

"The number in the classification of the Bühlmann decompression algorithm states how many couples of coefficients "a" and "b" are used in the calculation, 12 or 16.
The Bühlmann ZHL-12 is the very first version of the algorithm as published in 1983 by Dr. Bühlmann and Dr. Hahn.

In the iX3M2 you can choose which algorithm you prefer to use BUL (Bühlmann ZH-L12); BUL16B (Bühlmann ZH-L 16-B); BUL16C (Bühlmann ZH-L 16-C) or VPM-B"

There is a short section in Mark Powell's Deco for Divers on page 42 that briefly describes ZH-L12. The M-values were determined empirically with decompression dives rather than being mathematically derived as per ZH-L16A, with subsequent modification for 16B and 16C.

I have sent a follow up to Ratio with some additional questions. I don't know how L12 is adjusted, I assume GFs. I don't know how conservative or liberal the underlying L12 is or why someone would choose to use it.

If someone out there has an iX3M 2 Deep or Tech+, perhaps you could run the first, clean dive NDLs at the same GFs for ZH-L12, 16B, and 16C.

This is the reply I received after asking Ratio about Buhlmann ZH-L12:
I have to admit that I did not understand much of that post, as I don't know much about the inner workings of dive computers. As someone interested in the iX3M2, and so far always doing no-deco dives (but might be interested in some light deco like you describe), would you mind dumbing that down for me to help me understand what the concern might be? I was leaning toward the iX3M2 Pro as my next computer, but want to understand any concerns/limitations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom