Rates for locals different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rates in PI relative to other countries is so low anyway.. unless you choose to dive with atlantis or atmosphere. The dive ops are trying to survive in a tough industry anyway I dont see why you would want to undercut the prices more.. If you are not hard up.. I say just support the regular rate and tip the good DMs well... unless you have red hair of course..maybe you should pay more :alien:

There should be a discount for red heads :D

The rates in PI relative to other countries is so low anyway..

Low compared to other 'western' countries. Not cheap compared to other competitor destinations in Asia.

Here's how I understand it... after several years living here...

Theoretically it's cheap... given the cost of living in the Philippines. In practice, inflated prices/scams (whatever you want to call it) for tourists/foreigners make the Philippines a deceptively costly destination to visit. Transport is the worst for that - taxis and trikes can (attempt to) charge 10x more for a foreigner than a local. I've laughed my way out of taxis before - having been quoted rates more expensive than a London cab! LOL

If you typically travel/stay/dive in higher standard accommodation etc, then it's comparable with luxury options anywhere. The Philippines has a high import tax... so anything imported costs a fortune. If you like luxury and 'international standards', then you can pay more for it in the Philippines than you would in a western country.

If you're seeking a budget holiday (low-end/backpacker/barefoot travel etc) then you can be in for a disappointment. There's some unique cultural mind-set in the Philippines. If perceived as 'wealthy' (and all foreigners are perceived as wealthy) then it is 'fair game' to extract as much $$ from you as possible. A Robin Hood attitude... why shouldn't the 'rich' pay more... for the benefit of those who have less?

That's ok if you are actually wealthy, have an abundance of monies to spend and don't care about being over-charged because it makes you feel like a philanthropist. It's an impossible situation if you're travelling on a strict budget and assumed that the countries' low cost of living would reflect in a low cost of vacation.

It's a re-division of wealth through flexible pricing strategies - based on the perceived affluence of the spender, rather than the value of the commodity traded.

You pay according to what you are worth... not what the goods/services cost.

Dive centers are probably the least guilty participants in 'foreigner price inflation', although I've seen a few examples of two-tier pricing policies. It's more of a rarity though.

If perceived as 'wealthy' (and all foreigners are perceived as wealthy) then it is 'fair game' to extract as much $$ from you as possible. A Robin Hood attitude... why shouldn't the 'rich' pay more... for the benefit of those who have less?
Are you sure it's not just a "profit-maximization attitude"? "I can probably get 1000 pesos from this guy, even though I usually only charge 500"? It might be the same result, but perhaps inspired by Rockefeller, rather than Robin Hood.

I used to ask my wife to book the travel, using our Singapore address and her local patois. Now Singaporeans are wealthier than Americans, so I do the booking and hope they'll have pity on a poor American.
:D

Are you sure it's not just a "profit-maximization attitude"? "I can probably get 1000 pesos from this guy, even though I usually only charge 500"? It might be the same result, but perhaps inspired by Rockefeller, rather than Robin Hood.

From what I've encountered, the attitude seems to be that over-charging is a "right"..it is "fair". There's no stigma attached to it. It's not deceptive or unethical. That leads me to believe that the mindset, if not the activity, is based on Robin Hood rather than Rockefeller. Certainly with the trike drivers, market sellers etc...

What I believe is thought: "I have 8 kids, live in a bare concrete hut with a tin roof, have a sick parent to support, children to educate...why shouldn't the rich, millionaire 'Americano' pay so much more? They can afford it and it's still cheap for them. It is fair that I charge a grossly inflated amount."

The foreigner gets insulted by being 'frauded'. The local gets insulted because the foreigner refuses to accept their 'obligation' to pay more based on their wealth. A foreigner who haggles for a 'fair' (i.e. local) price is sometimes (generally?) regarded as a 'cheapskate'.

It's an understandable attitude, given the circumstances. Sadly, it conflicts with western principles on ethical behavior: we pay for the product/service, not for who we are... and deliberate over-charging is fraudulent and 'unfair'.

Unfortunately, it also gets 'out of hand'...because the impact of virtually every person you encounter on your vacation doing this tends to add a lot to the overall cost of your holiday. I've encountered sellers/drivers etc who have attempted to charge 10-20x the 'local rate' for goods/services. It also wears you down mentally - as every time you need something, you have to haggle, negotiate and dispute costs. The cumulative effect is also wearisome. It also creates a very negative perception in the minds of visitors - to the long-term detriment of the tourism industry.

After living in Cebu for close to two years I can agree with DD's comments. Of course this can happen in many other countries where westerners are regarded as walking wallets. IME Thailand was more so than in the Phils but YMMV.

I would also reiterate DD's comments in that this overcharging of foreigners is not done in a malicious way- but rather seen as the 'natural' way of things. Prices are regarded as vague numbers which are an estimation of the true monetary value, just like speed 'limits' are a vague indication of what should be our minimum speed, or white lines on the road are vague indicators to aim for while tearing down a mountain road in a bus containing 300 people.

Agreed, Mark (Sea Rider) is one of the coolest guys around. Just let him know what accomodation you want and he'll sort it, self catering, basic, or full board (clearly all have differing prices and depends on when you want to go). He's also the cheapest dive center in the area and in my opinion the best. Completely accomodating to whatever you want, provided he's happy........safety first as always.

Back
Top Bottom