Ranger BC and long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
Right out of the gate I know this combination is not DIR so hear me out.

I enjoy my Ranger but someday $ permitting, I will probably move to BP/wings. For now I have been doing a lot of reading DIR articles and thread surfing. I understand the system and would like to try the long hose and bungied back-up. I am currently using a single tank without a cannister light. If I used a 5 foot hose without the cannister, how would I route the hose on my hip. My ranger bc is weight integrated where the cannister would go. How do I rig? And is 5 the correct length?

Good question. I started my "tech" carreer with a ranger. With a 5 ft hose you might not need anything to hold it down. For a 7 ft hose, try clipping your reel on the right and running the hose under it like you would a light canister. Some people tuck the loop of the hose into their waist band. My problem was where to put the light. The weight pouch gets in the way. I now dive a bp and wing (halcyon).

Originally posted by erich
My ranger bc is weight integrated where the cannister would go. How do I rig? And is 5 the correct length?

You don't want the 7' hose and you don't want to route it under your weight pouches....

If you are short enough the 5' might work for you, wrapped under you right arm and across the chest and around the back of the neck from left to right....

However you will probably need the 6' hose to do this without it pulling the reg when you turn your head to the left.

I used to have a Ranger too.... sold it for $325 after 5 years of use... they seem to be in demand and if taken care of, hold their value....

I'm larger and taller than average (6'2", 240#). A 5' hose would be way to short for me, a 7' is barely long enough. I hook my hose under the handle of my right weight pouch, or anything else over there. It isn't a real solid hook, just something to sort of hold it in place. If I tucked it in my belt, it would be too hooked to give my head the freedom to turn. Even if it comes unhooked (it does) it's no big deal, it pretty much stays in place.

I was in your booties a while back, trying to make a Ranger fit DIR, I learned quickly it just does not fly, or fin.

I would agree with UP that the 6 is probably best right now over all, I have not tried the 7' on a Ranger but it seems to work for one at least.

You can see that one runs into problems immediately like where do I put the cannister, etc.

Do/Don't do what I did, EE will send you the rig to try for a month, if you don't like send it back and they credit the card back.

It was $15 each way from Fla to NC, your mileage may vary, I looked at it like renting the rig a few times. How many shops/companies will do that? My lds is not anywhere near that customer friendly, in fact if I wanted a rig from them speical ordered, I had to pay and no refund. My business goes elsewhere for a lot of stuff now.

They told he they only had one return. They have some on sale also now that are seconds, blemishes, etc and you can get a similar bp from Fred Tagge for a bit less.

Tommy

Originally posted by Campana
A 5' hose would be way to short for me, a 7' is barely long enough.
This begs the question of would a hose longer than 7' be "allowed".

In a DIR setup with it under the cannister or knife pouch the hose is closer to the waist and so 7' is plenty for the standard individual. Coming unhooked would generally be a bad thing, hence the reasoning.

Tommy

Originally posted by TexasMike
This begs the question of would a hose longer than 7' be "allowed".

Not in the WKPP...

But anywhere else?..... sure TexasMike!!!

You can get one as long as you like pardner....
Get one TEXAS style.... yee haw!!!
:D

Originally posted by Campana
a 7' is barely long enough. I hook my hose under the handle of my right weight pouch, or anything else over there.

Have you tried dumping that weight pouch with the hose wrapped under there????

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom