Raja Ampat Visibility mid April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handa9000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello. I am deciding between going to raja ampat and komodo in mid april. I would be staying in the north/central regions of these two places. I would like to go to raja ampat, but afraid visibility might be sub-optimal at this time? I can go next year at a more optimal time if this is the case. But if Komodo is also not great at this time, might have to think of other options. Thanks.

So is it pretty random then, or on average, is there better months to dive as far as visibility goes?

Do you think this is a better time to go to Raja Ampat over Komodo (Northern sites)?

As far as diving, just compare some of the YouTube videos taken in April from Komodo & Raja Ampat

As far as above water, Raja Ampat offer great scenic view of the limestone "mushroom-like" island cluster that you can see when you hike up Penemu & Wayag, which you may also see in other places, like Palau. Komodo islands look like more common tropical island scene, however, seeing Komodo dragons in their natural habitat in south Rinca, is totally unique and it is the only place in the world. Tough choice. So, it boils down to your preference. In terms of getting there, it is easier & shorter flight time to go to Komodo than to Raja Ampat.

I have been to Raja Ampat 6 times & the 7th time is in December 2019. I have been to Komodo 3 times. So it's obvious my choice & preference. :)

Last edited:
In a recent trip to Raja Ampat visibility was explained to me like this: in remote places far from large land masses, large cities, big rivers etc (like raja ampat) low visibility is usually due to plankton and not due to sediment/dirt.
Hence:
- good visibility = not much plankton = not much food for fish = not many fish, while
- poor visibility = plenty of plankton = plenty of food = plenty of fish
I haven't been to a lot of places to see if that is true but sound quite logical to me.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom