Raja Ampat Visibility mid April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know why one should be concerned about the visibility in Raja Ampat. The worst visibility there in all 6 trips I’ve been there from 2010 to 2017, including during April, was 20’ with tons of schooling fish feasting on nutrients in the sea. I’ve seen 100’+ visibility there with fewer big fish, but pretty UW landscape. If that is what you are looking for, then go during the dry season.

This is Raja Ampat, we are talking about, with lots of current to flush the nutrients with clear blue water from the deep, not the greenish stale water of my local lake. So, I won’t worry too much about getting poor visibility in Raja Ampat. :)

I agree with the statement that visibility is a factor that shouldn't be taken into account for diving Raja Ampat.
Like Dan said it happens that on some spots you would have 5m viz combined with incredible biomass while the day after you will get 20m viz on another but close spot, allowing you to view astoundingly beautiful corals.
So do not focus on viz, it's not worth maximizing it, dive with it and rest assured you'll enjoy it in any case on R4.

Here are two images taken the same day at the beginning of April in Dampier strait

25-30m viz and current on Cape Kri in the morning .
8731287385_c5aa9faeb8_c.jpg

Same day in the afternoon, 5m viz and no current at all on Otdima
8731287719_319050fd9a_c.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom