Raja Ampat in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stayed 7 nights with Papua Paradise last February. Great facilities, brand new dive equipment, wonderful staff/manager, and (obviously) great diving. Up to 4 dives/day, hitting all of the local spots in/around the resort and Kri area as well as longer day trips to Fam and the passage. By no means did I feel like I missed out by being land based in Raja - there are so many amazing dive sites all over the place and such a diversity of life that it would be hard to exhaust any one region of Raja in the amount of time you're going to be there.

Kri replied that they are full through Feb.... lol

Kri replied that they are full through Feb.... lol
Did you try RADL much better Q/P ratio than Kri Eco and I doubt they would be full : this operation has a problem with promoting themselves.
Their location is as interesting as Kri Eco nearby the Dampier Strait not to be missed spots, the other positive side is that the comfort in the rooms is much higher for a reasonable price.

If you switch for Komodo, lots of Labuan Bajo dive shops have "inhouse" liveaboards that provide short itineraries (3-7 days). This will be much less expensive than Raja Ampat but you have to mail and checkout with them.
Otherwise the most luxurious land based operation will be Komodo resort on Sebayur.
Personally I like Dragon Dive Komodo, it's a newly open hostel kind of accom with an integrated dive center but they also have comfortable double rooms for (not so) oldies like me and very powerful speedboats.
I had a very good time in August with them, the best in 3 trips to Komodo. They like more daring dives too.

Did you try RADL much better Q/P ratio than Kri Eco and I doubt they would be full : this operation has a problem with promoting themselves.
Their location is as interesting as Kri Eco nearby the Dampier Strait not to be missed spots, the other positive side is that the comfort in the rooms is much higher for a reasonable price.

If you switch for Komodo, lots of Labuan Bajo dive shops have "inhouse" liveaboards that provide short itineraries (3-7 days). This will be much less expensive than Raja Ampat but you have to mail and checkout with them.
Otherwise the most luxurious land based operation will be Komodo resort on Sebayur.
Personally I like Dragon Dive Komodo, it's a newly open hostel kind of accom with an integrated dive center but they also have comfortable double rooms for (not so) oldies like me and very powerful speedboats.
I had a very good time in August with them, the best in 3 trips to Komodo. They like more daring dives too.

Well, I have my plane tickets sorted already....
I emailed Raja Ampat Dive Lodge yesterday but has yet received a reply from them yet...
It also appears their prices are higher than KRI Eco while offering less dives... lol

It also appears their prices are higher than KRI Eco while offering less dives... lol
You know what Q/P ratio means, don't you?
Otherwise you can always stay at a homestay since you seem not bothered sharing bathrooms.... "lol"

Not in my opinion. They are different, yes, but I would not call the South superior. You'll find a greater density of soft corals there, along with a good manta site and some blacktips. The North is known for a higher density of fish life, often in big schools. Yes, those are generalizations, and you might find particular dives or dive sites in each area that defy them. Personally, if I had to choose one area over the other on a trip, I'd take the North, while still praising the South.

RA is much like Komodo ... the North and South are different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. The time of the year will also change the mix of life you see in either area.

Right on!

I just came back from Raja Ampat last month & have the same impression. Check out my trip report: Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

I was in RADL in November 2010. Good Q/P ratio in my book.

I also went with their LOB in February of 2010 to Misool.

Afterwards, I came back to RA 4 more times to stay in MER, R4D (Raja4 Divers in Pef, checkout my trip report: Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report) & 2 more LOBs. Will do more in the future.

I’m stayed at RA biodiversity last year around this time. very nice, friendly couple owns it,family style dinners, I would go back. There are also several homestays right next door so if you are ok with very basic accommodations, you can save a lot of money and stay there and dive with Biodiversity.

I also did LOB on Mermaid 1 - highly recommend!!! Reasonable prices for RA and great service and staff.

Laurie

Stayed 7 nights with Papua Paradise last February. Great facilities, brand new dive equipment, wonderful staff/manager, and (obviously) great diving. Up to 4 dives/day, hitting all of the local spots in/around the resort and Kri area as well as longer day trips to Fam and the passage. By no means did I feel like I missed out by being land based in Raja - there are so many amazing dive sites all over the place and such a diversity of life that it would be hard to exhaust any one region of Raja in the amount of time you're going to be there.

Good to hear. We are headed there in Feb. Really looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom