Rainbow River question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do RR a lot and it is not complicated at all. Go early to KP Hole, pay your fee's and look/ask for Captain Bill. He runs a pontoon water taxi service upstream from KP Hole. He only takes cash, have him take you to the "wall" (furthermost spot he takes divers) and ask him to spot out the cool caverns/holes etc., while motoring upstream. Then just take your time drifting down stream, don't fin down stream as you will miss some stuff. Once you hit 500psi or 50 mins bottom time, just poke your head up and see how close you are to KP hole. From the wall to KP Hole, I would say 60-75mins provided you are not fining down stream. Worst case scenario, just poke your head up and have a look-see. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

The advice from everyone was very helpful. We ended up going to Rainbow River yesterday and had a really nice time. We did use Capt. Bill (Home) and he was very nice. One thing to note, though, is that on weekdays he has a $50 minimum rather than the straight $10 per diver cost for weekends. So if you want to go on a weekday when it is less crowded, try to take some friends with you. We got lucky and were able to group with some snorkelers who got there at the same time.

As to my original question, we did not have a problem finding the takeout point at the end of the dive, but I'm not sure how it would have been if I had still been underwater at that point. I got a bit cold so was floating on my back at the end. I was wearing a 5mm wetsuit but skipped the hood. My husband was fine with the same configuration, but I would suggest a hood for this dive.

BR:
T
got a bit cold so was floating on my back at the end. I was wearing a 5mm wetsuit but skipped the hood. My husband was fine with the same configuration, but I would suggest a hood for this dive.

Florida springs can rob you of body heat pretty fast... I normally wear a 3mm farmer jane and a long sleeve rashgaurd... when I am at RR or CR I put a 3mm jacket on.. even in midsummer. hoodie makes me claustrophobic..so I don't wear it.. temp is, theoretically a constant 72 degrees. At that temp it robs you of body heat pretty fast. Some people love it, I get freezing fairly quickly.

If you are close by enough run over to Crystal River and spend a few hours snorkeling/diving with the Manatees. Three sisters is open to drive in and walk the boardwalk but to get to the springs you will need to either rent a boat or go with a dive op. You can rent boats at port paradise owhatever they are called now. I use American Pro as my lds up home.. I like the attitude and professionlism they exihibit contrasting to other shops who have a "I could care less if you dive with us" attitude. ymmv If you stay in town either Crystal Lodge or the old holiday inn just north of the Mall on the west side of 19. Hell if I know what it is called now, changes hands fairly regularly.

Thanks Magnolia. My husband and I have done several FL springs, and sometimes I use the hood and sometimes not. If I don't wear the hood, I am often a little chilly at the end, so I should know better by know. I am not very cold tolerant. A jacket is a good idea.

We have kayaked at Crystal River (and I jumped in and snorkeled a little bit). It is very nice, but I always feel a little bad that the manatees have to cluster in the sanctuaries to be left alone.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom