Rainbow River question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My husband and I would like to do the drift dive down Rainbow River, but I have one basic (silly) question before we go. How can you tell when you've reached the end? I assume there is no stop sign underwater :D.

Thanks in advance!

Are you going alone or with Bird's or some other dive operation? If you're with a dive operation then you'll be with a group. In theory, the lead diver is supposed to be dragging the divers down flag (or being dragged by the flag as the current is fast). Most divers pop to the surface way before the end. The boat that dropped you off at the start will be stopped ahead of you and the boat captain will point the way if you get confused.

BR:
Hi all,

My husband and I would like to do the drift dive down Rainbow River, but I have one basic (silly) question before we go. How can you tell when you've reached the end? I assume there is no stop sign underwater :D.

Thanks in advance!

If you use a boat operator they will have a good idea where to drop you off at. At a max depth of 20' if you do run low on air simple surface and snorkel to the exit. I used Rainbow River for checkouts for several years.

The river ends (up river) at the head spring. Scuba Diving is not permitted at the head spring.

The boat rides up river start at KP Hole which is the boat ramp.

Check with Crystal Lodge Dive Center for a boat ride upstream.

Dave was/may still be captaining for them. He has property on the River and is very knowledge of the site.

Hope this helps.

Tony Flaris
904-210-4550
NAUI 44662

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?krjdmq

Last edited:
I think we would use a boat operator to drop us off (rather than kayaks), but just the water taxi or some such, not a dive leader. We would rather do the dive on our own. We'll pull a dive flag. So is there anyway to tell you're at the end of the dive without a guide other than surfacing and looking around periodically?

If you use a boat operator, the boat will follow you down the river. You can basically dive the river in a loose group. When my wife and I did that dive years ago we were the only 2 in the group. My sister wasn't a diver yet and snorkeled above us. It's pretty easy to know when you're done because you'll see the boat launch. The river is crystal clear.

Rainbow river is an easy, fun and interesting dive. Everyone should do it once. Pay attention to the boat captain on the way up as he will point out the interesting things to check out- the deep hole with tons of gar, the "cave" enrtrance, hot water bubbling throughthe sand, etc.. He will also give you some navigation tips. When you begin your drift try to stay ahead or behind everyone and get away from the big group. The vegitation holds tons of silt and, if you are behind a big group, you will fee the effects of their fins in the muck. It really is more of a snorkel than a dive. Like most rivers, there are long stretches of shallow channels that lead to deeper holes. Use you snorkel through the shallow areas, and stop in each hole to scuba and slowly explore. Most are about 12-18 feet deep. When you head up to drift to the next hole pop your head up and check out your location. The water is really only five feet anyway. The KP Hole is a big public park-ish area. You won't miss it. If you take you time the drift will take about an hour. Last thing, really be aware of your surroundings when it comes to the boats shuttling people up and down the river. The captains do a good job watching for bubbles, but you gotta do your part too. Have fun.

Thanks everybody, can't wait to try it!

The boat takes you upstream from KP Hole, and you drift back to KP Hole. Same place. The water is not too deep. I was there 3 weeks ago and my average depth of the dive was only 7 feet lol! Deepest I went was 20. The cool thing about having a guide is that they know where the small caverns are... Our boat op pointed out their general location though. Fun time, just make sure you aren't there with all the OW cert classes, all those people end up silting up the water and viz isn't as impressive. On a clear day, very pretty! Have fun!

BR:
I think we would use a boat operator to drop us off (rather than kayaks), but just the water taxi or some such, not a dive leader. We would rather do the dive on our own. We'll pull a dive flag. So is there anyway to tell you're at the end of the dive without a guide other than surfacing and looking around periodically?
For what it's worth, when I was there last April the water was so clear you could stay at the bottom and identify the birds flying over the water...

As for where to get out, just swim until you have no air then surface. You're finished at that point.

EDIT: If you can avoid going with an operator you won't be "rushed" to finish the dive like I was. I was one of the last on the boat and I still had over 1000 psi left in my tank after an hour. I was "herded" by the boat captain twice because I was "too far from the group" even though my buddy was within 6 feet of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom