RAID Cave 1 - Good Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently in backmount doubles just because for some gut feeling reason I want to master that first as a challenge but then I want to try sidemount too maybe in a few months.

I am currently in backmount doubles just because for some gut feeling reason I want to master that first as a challenge but then I want to try sidemount too maybe in a few months.
Totally different beasts.

I don't think there's any real difference. You've got the same surface area exposed to the flow, just a different cross sectional shape.
Seriously? In sidemount, my cylinders are under my armpits/shoulders a bit. I find a huge difference in water resistance.

Edit: If you are in one of these pictures: Fixing The Sidemount Training Disappointment %, okay, I can understand your POV. :poke::wink:

Seriously? In sidemount, my cylinders are under my armpits/shoulders a bit. I find a huge difference in water resistance.

Caveat - I don't do much with sidemount. I've played around with it a bit in open water with a few different tanks, but nothing serious. I've been toying around with using it more extensively for some river caves and remote spots, but there's a lot of big cave out there and I keep getting distracted.

But the only time I've ever felt like I was significantly more streamlined was with LP50s, which is more a function of the tanks than anything. The lower back mounted bladder seems to create drag with larger steels. Then again, I'm not super proficient. The difference between diving wet and dry is far more noticeable to me.

Caveat - I don't do much with sidemount. I've played around with it a bit in open water with a few different tanks, but nothing serious. I've been toying around with using it more extensively for some river caves and remote spots, but there's a lot of big cave out there and I keep getting distracted.

But the only time I've ever felt like I was significantly more streamlined was with LP50s, which is more a function of the tanks than anything. The lower back mounted bladder seems to create drag with larger steels. Then again, I'm not super proficient. The difference between diving wet and dry is far more noticeable to me.
When I started on sidemount with a Halcyon Contour, I took a SM course. After the instructor made adjustments underwater and the cylinders were along the sides of my body, I just cut through the water like I never had before. I suspect that you may not be in sidemount, but low mount where your cylinders are like rails on a sled.

When I started on sidemount with a Halcyon Contour, I took a SM course. After the instructor made adjustments underwater and the cylinders were along the sides of my body, I just cut through the water like I never had before. I suspect that you may not be in sidemount, but low mount where your cylinders are like rails on a sled.

Entirely possible. Nothing I've been diving has given me any reason to consider sidemount, so I'm not particularly proficient with it.

Entirely possible. Nothing I've been diving has given me any reason to consider sidemount, so I'm not particularly proficient with it.
After going back to sidemount after fundies with a new harness (Xdeep Stealth Tec 2.0), neither am I!

After going back to sidemount after fundies with a new harness (Xdeep Stealth Tec 2.0), neither am I!
I don't understand why you wouldn't use the contour up here, at least with steel tanks its far easier to trim them out.

Everything goes to hell (tank trimwise) with SM and trimix sadly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom