Rafting trip into the Grand Canyon - packing list advice welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all - we are taking a week-long rafting trip down the mighty Colorado into the Grand Canyon this coming May. We are beyond excited - but a little nervous, too (me, in particular). I am not one to go camping, so this will be a first, but I am keeping an open mind because I just cannot imagine a better way to experience the GC.

I am reading through the recommended packing list and I notice they recommend "gloves" - particularly for holding onto the ropes/raft - but also for sun protection (I am a ghost). I was wondering if our dive gloves would be good for this? We don't get much use out of them because most places we dive they are not permitted, but they have decent grip, dry fast and fit us well. What do you think?

We also notice they recommend neoprene "socks" for early spring trips - would our booties work? We are trying to re-purpose gear, lol.

Anyone else experienced with rafting trips? They told us to get a rain jacket & rain pants (for the rapids, not really for rain), but no specifics on what kind. I am guessing you'd want the wrists & ankles cinched so the water doesn't just drench us? I would think a more breathable fabric would be more comfortable, but not so breathable that is slowly seeps in and you're sitting in wet gear for hours? Any advice?

Seriously, any other specifics stuff to buy/pack would be great - especially stuff outside the normal packing list items. Thanks!

Ask your outfitter these questions. Also, I haven't made the trip but from I recall having read about it is the water is surprisingly cold, coming from the bottom of the lake under the dam.

Depends on the dive gloves. You want reinforced palms, good grip, abrasion resistant, and flexible so that you can do the necessary tasks. Water may be cold but the canyon can be hot. Might want gloves that can breathe also.

rain suit a must especially if u sit in front you will have the time of your life my wife an I did it 2years ago with grand canyon expeditions the meals were fabulous.the hiking an scenery was spectacular the little Colorado,was beautiful,I was a little skeptic,about being in the canyon for 7days but it went to fast did not want to leave have a great time

Back
Top Bottom