Question R095 vs R195

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ukmc

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is the difference? My son dives with R095 octo. I have a spare R195. Should I swap it for him?

Unless you are set up for primary donate, it does not matter who has the R095 vs the R195. The difference is the R195 has a Venturi control (predive/dive) and the R095 does not.

I recently bought Scubapro regulators (MK 11, c370, R095) from my LDS and my LDS convinced me buy the R095 instead of the R195. They said a Venturi control on an octo is a waste of money. Your buddy uses your octo only in an emergency situation and the only thing your buddy will be doing with the octo is ascending to the surface. Both the R095 and R195 are OK second stages and do their job well. A downside to having a Venturi control on an octo when not in primary donate is if you set the Venturi control to dive it can free flow easier. I trust what my LDS says. They could have sold a more expensive octo but advised against it.

I believe if you are cave divers, you may want to opt for the fancier octo and a long hose. If neither of you cave dive, who has the R095 won't matter.

A Venturi control is advantageous for an octopus or secondary regulator because it allows the second stage to be tuned for a lower effort for the Dive position and in the pre-Dive position setting it will still be resistant to free flow. Without a Venturi control the second stage will be tuned rather stiff to stave off free flowing. For that reason I would prefer the R195 over the R095.

A Venturi control is advantageous for an octopus or secondary regulator because it allows the second stage to be tuned for a lower effort for the Dive position and in the pre-Dive position setting it will still be resistant to free flow. Without a Venturi control the second stage will be tuned rather stiff to stave off free flowing. For that reason I would prefer the R195 over the R095.
You can adjust the R095 like the R295 to Dive Position.
I adjust these octos to 1,2-1,3 inch/h2o and put the Dive/ Pre Dive switch on Dive.
The cracking effort is the same, just if you breath harder because you're stressed, for whatever reason you have to work hard while on that octo or you let the octo carelessly drop on the water surface, the Venturi comes into play.
I have adjusted hundreds of fleet octos like that and there were hardly any problems.
Sometimes you have one octo ( or primary 2nd) that develops an unusual strong Venturi, then I leave the Pre Dive Position.
But that unusual strong Venturi is quite easy to identify by testing it with push on the 'purge button', breathing hard in and out, or of course, on Flow Benches.
So I have no problem with manual operated Dive/ Pre Dive switches, but if somebody doesn't want to pay extra for it, technically I understand that completely.

You can adjust the R095

The R095 doesn't have Dive/Pre-Dive adjustment AFAIK. Do you mean the venturi can be set by the technician but not by diver?

Yes, sure, I mean it can be adjusted by anybody, but not while diving, you need a tool, but it can be done from outside the case.
Can it be modified by using parts from r195 to be able to adjust the Venturi during the dive?

Yes, sure, I mean it can be adjusted by anybody, but not while diving, you need a tool, but it can be done from outside the case.

And that is why I would prefer the R195 to the R095 for the OPs stated purpose, or any purpose really for that matter.:)

Edit to add, two summers ago, I had a mechanical issue with my primary regulator system and switched to my octopus, an Aeris pancake style second stage. I had inhaled seawater as a result. My group had also left me behind as I had tarried while photoing a lemon shark and a turtle. Leaving out all the fun stuff, when I finally got on that "octopus" it was really unable to deliver sufficient air to me to satisfy my need and allow me to catch the group. In fact, I almost died for second time on that dive due to that. It was a decent breathing little reg, worked fine before and after the dive. It was just adjusted to prevent free flow everytime I jumped in. One of the things I told myself I would do if I lived, was to upgrade some equipments (and some other things as well :wink: ). I would not want a regulator without a Venturi control or similar ability to control airflow and to provide full and easy airflow when needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom