Quotes from more than one thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have noticed that sometimes a person will be replying to a post in a thread and they quote either part or all of the post and then will also add a quote from another post in that same reply. How does one go about doing that?
There have been lots of times I want to reply to two or three posts all in my same reply and not have to have 3 different posts.

I am computer illiterate and will need step by step by step instructions!
Is there someone out there with enough patience to explain this to me?

Click M(ulti)-Quote in the first post. And every additional post you want to quote.

Click Quote in the last post you want to quote to quote them all in a new reply.

Example follows.

Quote 1

Click M-Quote in the first post. And every additional post you want to quote.

Click Quote in the last post you want to quote to quote them all in a new reply.

Example follows.

Comment on Quote 1
To comment on any of the quoted posts just insert your comments in the space between each post

Or you can simply cut and paste what you'd like to quote into your reply box. Next, highlight the text you are quoting and click on the quote icon (to the far right using the quick reply box 7th from the right in advanced replies). That will put it in quotes. To show who you are quoting you simply need to add an equal sign (=) and the person's name after quote inside the brackets like this -

You can also quote across posts in multiple forums. If you've seen the Mof'ers quote from other threads, this is how they're doing it:

I started by going to the "Odd Characters" thread in this forum and quoted TeamCasa's first post also using M-Quote. And El Orans response also using M-Quote.

Then back to this post and hit Quote to end with Quote 1 from this thread. After I did this at the bottom of the quick reply window in this post, there was a link to two options:

You have selected 2 posts that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts

Choosing "Quote these posts as well" yields the result shown below, choosing deselect would remove them from being quoted in your reply.

EXAMPLE:

That's a new one.

Why does this "that's" turn into this "thatÃÔ" ?

I've seen it on a few posts.

Click M(ulti)-Quote in the first post. And every additional post you want to quote.

Example follows.
How kewel is that?

I think I got it!

Now I will see if I really did it right

Comment on Quote 1

To comment on any of the quoted posts just insert your comments in the space between each post
Yep. I think I will work with this style for now.
Walter, the one you explained is a bit confusing to me.

Now I assume that if there is just part of each post you want to quote and not the entire post that I would follow the same steps but just highlight and delete the parts I didn't need in my post?

How kewel is that?

I think I got it!

Now I will see if I really did it right

Yep. I think I will work with this style for now.
Walter, the one you explained is a bit confusing to me.

Now I assume that if there is just part of each post you want to quote and not the entire post that I would follow the same steps but just highlight and delete the parts I didn't need in my post?

Or you can just give Joe a call and have him come over and do it. :rofl3:

Art

That would work. Or you could do what I just did here and highlight and select this text from your original post, paste it into the Quick Reply window, highlight it again and hit the little white icon above the window (the one that looks like quotes) which makes it into a quoted post at the top of this reply. That's basically what Walter was explaining.

Note that because I did it this way and did not include the additional stuff Walter posted:
To show who you are quoting you simply need to add an equal sign (=) and the person's name after quote inside the brackets like this -
that the reply doesn't indicated who it was quoted from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom