Quiz - Physics - Volume/Pressure

If a balloon and a scuba tank are both filled with air and placed outdoors in direct sunlight on an

• a. The volume of the balloon and tank will both increase.

• b. The volume of the balloon will decrease and the pressure in the tank will decrease.

• c. The volume of the balloon will increase and the pressure in the tank will increase.

• d. The pressure in the balloon and tank will both decrease.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you just hate it when someone goes on at length to answer a rhetorical question?

verbal diarrhea...

the both of you need to play nice. @Angelo Farina is entirely correct. He acknowledges that he is going far beyond the simplistic book answer which is what boards like this are for right? Expanding knowledge beyond the simple book answers.

the both of you need to play nice. @Angelo Farina is entirely correct. He acknowledges that he is going far beyond the simplistic book answer which is what boards like this are for right? Expanding knowledge beyond the simple book answers.
LOL. Of course he is correct. But he is also answering a rhetorical question that was even not to him.

Can't have basic scuba without basic physics.

Of course, but the basic physics, at least from what I remember of my SSI Science of Diving course, did not include expansion of scuba tanks. They were treated as rigid bodies and that is what is implied in the OP's question at the beginning of this thread.

LOL. You are a slave to minor effects and decimal points. What is the major effect of the heating? Which answer is the most correct?
Have to completely agree with you this time. I picked the obvious answer. I did forget that yes, "non-flexible" containers (as they are referred to in my manuals) such as tanks can expand and contact. We know this happens during Hydro testing when overfilled with water. But that's even too picky for ME to consider. I was surprised to hear though that an aluminum tank can expand 1/4 inch with a rise of maybe 28 dergrees F.
This question passes my "clear enough" test.

Side note-- I am doing that free offer SSI Science of Diving online course (which I think is very thorough). I have come across a question or two on the quizzes that could be considered unclear, verifying that it's not just PADI. I guess it's hard to come up with a test with 100% questions with only one absolutely right answer-- with no doubt.

I would love to know how someone could casually observe the expansion of an AL tank.

I have found the discussions of @Pedro Burrito's quiz questions quite interesting and, in general, a nice break from the discussion of Covid-19 and politics occurring everywhere around us :)
It is nice to have at least 1 place in the world where the discussion of relative effectiveness of N-95 masks vs homemade solutions is entirely absent.

I read the questions top to bottom, when I read (a) I thought "that's correct", (b) "no", (c) "also correct", and at that point expected (d) to be "both (a) and (c)", and was surprised to see that it is another incorrect answer. Upon reflection, I agreed that (c) is "most correct" and ticked that box.

For a temperature variation of 40 K (40 °C),
As for this example... 40 °C variation?! Was the tank in the freezer before you put it out in the sun? Point taken, and I agree with your conclusion, but cannot help chuckling a bit at the premises of your example :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom