Quiz - Physics - Volume/Pressure

If a balloon and a scuba tank are both filled with air and placed outdoors in direct sunlight on an

• a. The volume of the balloon and tank will both increase.

• b. The volume of the balloon will decrease and the pressure in the tank will decrease.

• c. The volume of the balloon will increase and the pressure in the tank will increase.

• d. The pressure in the balloon and tank will both decrease.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both steel and aluminium expand significantly

Thermal expansion of metals does occur, but significantly (steel/auminum)? If I could see the change - now that would be significant!! :)

the pedantically correct answer

:yeahbaby: Good one!!

If I were back in my middle school science teaching days, there is a best choice to the question.

LOL. You are a slave to minor effects and decimal points. What is the major effect of the heating? Which answer is the most correct?
The linear thermal expansion coefficient of aluminium is 24E-6 K-1, so the volumetric expansion coefficient is approximately 3 times larger. For a temperature variation of 40 K (40 °C), the percentage variation of volume will be :
DeltaV/V = 3*24E-6*40 = 0.29% . Small, but not entirely negligible...
So also answer a) was definitely true.
The correct answer had be that both a) and c) were true.
More precisely, in both balloon and cylinder volume and pressure both increase. In the balloon, there is some small increase of pressure and a large increase of volume. In the cylinder, there is some small increase of volume and a large increase of pressure.

That aluminum tank picks up a whole half a cubic inch of volume going from room temperature to outside on a 100 degree F day. Even more if it's sitting in direct sunlight.

Argument could be made for either a or c. But, since a tank fill is typically measured by its pressure and not volume. While, the balloon would be measured by a noticeable change in its shape (volume change). The most correct answer is c.

Where did it say it was an aluminum tank? :stirpot:
If it was steel, the thermal expansion coefficient had been half that of aluminium, but the concept is the same. Metals expand significantly with heat...
In these "binary logic" questionnaires, there is not anything being "more" or "less" correct.
Each enunciate is either True or False. And here we have two enunciates which are both entirely true.
Said that, I also answered c), because is what I guess an instructor would expect me to answer.
However, if a student answers a) and is rejected, he has any reason of the world for appealing against the verdict, as a) is entirely true, too, and it was not possible to tick both a) and c)...
For making c) the only correct answer it had been necessary to declare "increase significantly", and not just "increase", both for the volume and for the pressure.

What is the major effect of the heating?

The linear thermal expansion coefficient of aluminium is 24E-6 K-1, so the volumetric expansion coefficient is approximately 3 times larger. For a temperature variation of 40 K (40 °C), the percentage variation of volume will be :
DeltaV/V = 3*24E-6*40 = 0.29% . Small, but not entirely negligible...
So also answer a) was definitely true.
The correct answer had be that both a) and c) were true.
More precisely, in both balloon and cylinder volume and pressure both increase. In the balloon, there is some small increase of pressure and a large increase of volume. In the cylinder, there is some small increase of volume and a large increase of pressure.
Don't you just hate it when someone goes on at length to answer a rhetorical question?

Back
Top Bottom