Quiz - Physics - Displacement

If an object that weighs 85 kg/187 pounds is neutrally buoyant in salt water, what is the volume of

• a. 8.5 liters / 3 cubic feet

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • b. 82.5 liters / 2.9 cubic feet

Votes: 75 85.2%
  • c. 87.5 liters / 3.2 cubic feet

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • d. 170 liters / 6 cubic feet

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, thanks. Now, which of the basic sciences does that branch belong to?

Btw:
View attachment 580321

Completely true. After 10 years of studying topologies in non-vectorial space, I can assure you that mankind has not benefited in any measurable way. Even solving abc is an arbitrary exercise. OTOH, we used the Traveling Salesman Problem to help map fiber routes in the 90s. Pure math has "some" uses.

NASA missions have used one or the other for about 30 years (well, they've used both for a good bit longer than that). There's been plenty of stuff in that time that hasn't been metric. Some missions use both.

The old adage is that there are two countries, those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon, but in reality, even the computers that were used on the apollo mission to get to the moon were programmed in metric.

I studied under one of the NASA math guys who was instrumental on the initial Apollo mission. I can safely say that use of Imperial or SI never arose in two years of PG work.

It's nice to think that Italy is totally on the SI system.
???
Time units different from seconds, such as minute, hours and days, are officially accepted to be used in SI-compliant countries:
Units of Measurement – Exactly What Is Time?
So our law considers perfectly lawful to use km/h for speed.
Also bars are accepted in SI (not atmospheres, nor kgf/cm^2, which were used before 1981).

I studied under one of the NASA math guys who was instrumental on the initial Apollo mission. I can safely say that use of Imperial or SI never arose in two years of PG work.
I've worked with a few engineers from those days. I never did ask them what they used for the mechanical design. Next time I see one I'll try to remember to ask.

Interesting fact: When I first started working in the US, I was hired as a consultant by Centel. My boss was Jim Lovell.

You are talking about fluid ounces, not ounces....the latter is a measure of weight, not volume. If 1 cuft were 957.51 ounces, that would be 957.51/16 = 59.84 pounds.....but the actual weight of a cuft of (fresh) water is 62.4 pounds, thus 998.4 ounces.
... and your point is?

I worked in a medical research lab in the 1990s. I never did anything that went to anyone else in anything other than SI. When I was a teacher, I never used any measurements other than SI. If American elementary educators were taught only to teach using SI units the change over would take a decade.

Of course, a century and a half later most Americans can’t correctly identify the cause of the Civil War, so it may be impossible....

... and your point is?
Seriously? You gave some incorrect info....own it. Easy mistake to make, of course, Imperial is an idiotic system, and you fell into one of its traps.

I agree completely about what it would take to move the country to SI. it isn't gonna happen, for the same reason people don't agree on the cause of the Civil War.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom