Quiz - Equipment - J-Valve

When used as designed, a J-valve will:

• a. serve as a warning device, alerting the diver when tank pressure is low.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • b. allow a diver to monitor air pressure without a submersible pressure gauge.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • c. give the diver an extra supply of air to finish the dive.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • d. both a and c are correct.

Votes: 89 66.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your BBQ analogy is better is if you pull out 4 steaks for the 4 people that you know will attend (including yourself). Because two more people will show up, you cut two pieces off two of the steaks and set that aside for them.
How about this for extra. I barbecued six steaks. We only ate four of them, I had two extra.

I really only know I had extra after I finished the evening. I budgeted extra steaks in case more people showed up. I budget extra air in case my dive went sideways. If I needed it, I would have “had enough” air.

How about this for extra. I barbecued six steaks. We only ate four of them, I had two extra.

I really only know I had extra after I finished the evening. I budgeted extra steaks in case more people showed up. I budget extra air in case my dive went sideways. If I needed it, I would have “had enough” air.
Good one! Now do it using "reserve"!
Here's another one: "Spare Air". Is it extra? Is it reserve. If it were marketed as "Extra Air" or "Reserve Air" would it make any difference?

Good one! Now do it using "reserve"!
Here's another one: "Spare Air". Is it extra? Is it reserve. If it were marketed as "Extra Air" or "Reserve Air" would it make any difference?
SpareAir should be marketed as "for running out of air twice" or "drowning from shallower depths"

SpareAir should be marketed as "for running out of air twice" or "drowning from shallower depths"
You beat me to it.... I returned to the computer to add to my post "If the name changed and you owned it would you still Die"?

You beat me to it.... I returned to the computer to add to my post "If the name changed and you owned it would you still Die"?
I actually have the logo for SpareAir with the phrase "Helping divers drown from shallower depths since 1979" that I'll make into a T-shirt for myself and friends. I can imagine the stir it would cause if I wore it at DEMA!

No you didn't-you were just not hungry enough. One should not give up so easily. :)

I don't quite get:

a. serve as a warning device, alerting the diver when tank pressure is low.

How does it alert the diver? It doesn't do anything. Breathing just becomes more difficult as it is running out until you open up the reserve. I don't see such an inaction as an action.

Neither does an SPG tap you on the shoulder and say look at me. When breathing gets hard it' s hard to ignore it. Many an SPG has been ignored.

If the rod was never pulled, would you be able to breath the cylinder to near empty, albeit with increased resistance, or would it quit delivering gas until you pulled the rod. I never tried this myself, so do not know the answer. I always pulled the rod when the resistance increased and did my ascent. If the latter is true, then it does, indeed, make more gas available.

Depends, early J valves used a metal to metal seat so it never would shut totally air tight. A decent J with the nylon seat will eventually shut completely off but it may not be until below 100 psi

Depends, early J valves used a metal to metal seat so it never would shut totally air tight. A decent J with the nylon seat will eventually shut completely off but it may not be until below 100 psi
You need to read the rest of the thread to see if one of my earliest comments was relevant to answer.

I read it all, what post are you referring to.

Back
Top Bottom