Quiz - Physics - Buoyancy

If an object is positively buoyant in salt water, what will happen to the object when it's placed in

• a. The answer cannot be determined from the information given.

• b. It will sink.

• c. It will float.

• d. It will be neutrally buoyant.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read all of the answers. I didn’t even see the correct answer for some strange reason. Even as I hit B I wondered how that could be correct.

I suppose I should find solace that I didn’t select “C”.

I will not give away the answer, but it has to do with the density of the fluid. The fluid with the greater density will create more buoyancy upon the object.

SeaRat
The salt vs fresh is the clear part of the question. The indeterminate part is just how buoyant the object is. Without knowing that, there's no way to tell whether the change to fresh water means it floats a bit less, or is neutral, or sinks. All you know for sure is it is a little less floaty in fresh water. But there is insufficient information to tell you how much less floaty.

The salt vs fresh is the clear part of the question. The indeterminate part is just how buoyant the object is. Without knowing that, there's no way to tell whether the change to fresh water means it floats a bit less, or is neutral, or sinks. All you know for sure is it is a little less floaty in fresh water. But there is insufficient information to tell you how much less floaty.
Yes, if B,C & D had the word "may" sink, etc. then all answers would be correct.
This is an excellent example of a question that tests your knowledge, makes you think a little, and is not "trick" or unclear in any way.

If an object is positively buoyant in salt water, what will happen to the object when it's placed in fresh water?

Never, ever place salt water flotsam in fresh water it will spontaneously dissociate.

If an object is positively buoyant in salt water, what will happen to the object when it's placed in fresh water?

Never, ever place salt water flotsam in fresh water it will spontaneously dissociate.

This is why I never shower after diving. Some dive boats like to boast about their "fresh water rinse" available on deck.

Fools, think I. When the showering begins, we see who the true saltwater flotsam are.

Back
Top Bottom