Quiz - Physics - Colors

As depth increases underwater colors disappear due to water's ability to _____ light. The first col

• a. diffuse/blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b. absorb/red

Votes: 93 92.1%
  • c. refract/red

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • d. bend/white

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Factoid: No, it's because of Rayleigh scattering. Blue light is higher energy, so it scatters laterally across the sky. Other wavelengths of lower energy are pulled downwards by earth's gravity. That's why the sun appears yellow and the sky appears blue.

See definition 2: Definition of factoid | Dictionary.com

Earths gravity has a trivial effect on a photon of light.

Factoid: No, it's because of Rayleigh scattering. Blue light is higher energy, so it scatters laterally across the sky. Other wavelengths of lower energy are pulled downwards by earth's gravity. That's why the sun appears yellow and the sky appears blue.

See definition 2: Definition of factoid | Dictionary.com
This.

Rayleigh scattering is more prominent for shorter wavelengths, which is the reason the sky is blue (it's showing scattered light) and the sun is yellow/orange/red (the blues are scattered away, so the overall light coming directly in is yellow/orange/red, not white. The lower the sun is in the horizon, the more the Rayleigh scattering and the more orange/red the incoming light is.

It's just physics. If you know your physics.

It retains the necessary combination of gases in sufficient density
"It puts the lotion on the skin"

When I said "elaborate", I meant "give a physical explanation which can be understood by high school or freshman level physics". I'm asking again.

My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom