Quincy Quarry ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is this a known quarry for scuba diving ? Is it allowed to dive there, why or why not ?
Heard this is a deep one (300+ feet), which would mean I could (finally) so a deep dive around here... I need 130ft dives ! ;o)

There are many cars, trees, bodies... I definitely would like to check it out... good rinsing alternative :wink:

Is this a known quarry for scuba diving ? Is it allowed to dive there, why or why not ?
Heard this is a deep one (300+ feet), which would mean I could (finally) so a deep dive around here... I need 130ft dives ! ;o)

There are many cars, trees, bodies... I definitely would like to check it out... good rinsing alternative :wink:

IIRC there was some diving there, or was it in Milford?, in the 1970s. Which ever one it was I was there on one occasion as part of a what is now called an AOW class. Yes, there were cars, junk, underwear, bullets, more junk, vertical walls, and a whole host of things on which to become injured or whatever. IIRC there was a considerable walk necessary from the parking lot to the actual dive site; but I was only 15 or 16 at the time and might not be RIC.

The "problem" with such quarries is where there are junked cars there is likely gasoline in the tanks, and other noxious crap, and if it's leaking into the water you probably don't want to be swimming in that area. If there are trees, and folks have been fishing, there is more than likely scads of monofilament line and believe me it's very difficult to see.

Now this is a quarry.

UKDivers.net - Dorothea Quarry

Looks like Quincy is one of those quarrys that are abandoned then filled with junk over many years. Many dangers lurk there; if cars are piled up, they can easily fall over. Rusted 55 gallon drums are probably a norm. Whose knows what else.

It took thousands of man hours and dollars just to clean up the Portland Quarry; the Quincy quarry at 3x the depth would be tough; and to make an effort to make it public divable and safe is another thing given its depth.

My understand is the quarry is not open for diving, but I could be mistaken.

The quincy quarries are not any place for divers even when trying to recover bodies the option was to drain them to get access to potentail bodies rather than send divers.
But im sure some recovery diving has been done there.
Here are a few stories some fairly recent accidents.
quincy quarries deaths - Google Search

In the past, Quincy Quarries was best known for the tragic but inevitable headlines of teens jumping from the surrounding cliffs to cool off during the hot summer months. These days, it's best known as an easily accessible urban rock climbing spot. The main part of the quarry has been filled in and is now basically a recreation area used mostly by climbers and dog walkers. It has also been the start / finish line for a few adventure races in the last couple of years.

QQ is the Back Beach of climbing. Not a lot there but it's convenient and when everything else is blown out, you can usually manage to get a few pitches in.

As crlavoie mentioned the quarry is now filled in.

I believe in the early 1990s (?) local diver Doug Costa pulled off a deep, solo recovery dive there.....

The FBI put Whitey Bulger at the very bottom of QQ when they started filling it in. It's a little know fact that the entire Big Dig/Third Harbor Tunnel project was initiated just so that they would have enough dirt to put over Whiteys unmarked grave.

PTN

Back
Top Bottom