Quickie trip report: May 21 - June 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back last night from a 13 day stay on Cozumel. It was my 30-somethingth trip there, so I knew what to expect, but it was a fabulous trip nonetheless. We had 12 very full days - 8 days diving, 3 days fishing, and one day dedicated to touring the "wild side".

The hotel: We stayed at Blue Angel, as always. When we got there BDSD's 32 diver group was there, and I met and dove with him and several other SBers. Great bunch of folks. We also had almost a week overlap there with Mr. and Mrs. Sharky. We met them years ago at BA and we always love it when our stays there coincide.

The dives: Santa Rosa, Cedral, Tormentos, San Francisco, Tuniche, Colombia Deep, Colombia Shallows, Paradise (night dive), Chankanaab, Palancar Caves and Bricks, and Dalila. Some of these we did more than once because the strong SE wind that was blowing pretty much the whole time we were there sometimes interfered with diving the south end. No biggie. We also did the shore dive from BA a couple of times, plus the drift from Villblanca to BA at night. The only dive that was a little less than ideal (IMO, of course) was Tuniche. I know to expect more current there, but this was ridiculous, especially in the first part of the dive where there wasn't anything to hide behind. Again, no biggie.

The fishing: Not too bad but not exactly stellar; that's why they call it fishing instead of catching. In three days we caught four small dorado, two large dorado, one barracuda, one sailfish, and one tiny bonita. We had plenty of cold cervesa, though.

The food: Great as always. We ate at the BA restaurant several times as well as at Kondesa, Pancho's Backyard, La Choza, El Moro, La Perlita, and Casa Mission.

The weather: Cloudier than we have been accustomed to, and on Wednesday 5/24 a pretty big storm blew in from the west. We only had one decent sunset the whole time we were there. It rained a few other times as well, but once again, no biggie (did I mention that we had plenty of cold cervesa?). The "wild side" more than lived up to that moniker the day we were over there; there were guys surfing at Chen Rio and the waves were shoulder high with the occasional overhead.

Our next trip: April 2018 to celebrate my mom's 90th birthday and her 42nd yearly trip to Cozumel.

Last edited:
Nice report. Glad is was a good trip.

What happens with the fish you catch? Do you get to keep it, share it, throw it back, or does the charter keep it? Is there a restaurant that you know of that will take your fish and prepare it for you?

Nice report. Glad is was a good trip.

What happens with the fish you catch? Do you get to keep it, share it, throw it back, or does the charter keep it? Is there a restaurant that you know of that will take your fish and prepare it for you?
All the above. Billfish are catch and release. Barracuda, mackerel, and bonita we leave with the boat crew. Some dorado (mahi-mahi), tuna, and wahoo we keep and take to the Blue Angel restaurant for cooking/ceviche, and if we catch more we give them to hotel staff, dive masters, and other friends.

It was my 30-somethingth trip there, so I knew what to expect, but it was a fabulous trip nonetheless.

Wow. That's a strong endorsement of Cozumel for dive tourism. I've got this impression that Cozumel and Bonaire are likely the 'scuba tourism capitals' of the Caribbean; I wonder how their numbers of scuba tourists/year stack up against the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Roatan, etc...?

Are those restaurants you ate at walking distance, or did you drive or cab it?

Richard.

Wow. That's a strong endorsement of Cozumel for dive tourism. I've got this impression that Cozumel and Bonaire are likely the 'scuba tourism capitals' of the Caribbean; I wonder how their numbers of scuba tourists/year stack up against the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Roatan, etc...?

Are those restaurants you ate at walking distance, or did you drive or cab it?

Richard.
Cozumel is very hard to beat, at least from my perspective. Getting there is easy and quick, accommodations and food are reasonably priced, there are something on the order of 30 great dive sites within about 20 miles of where they pick me up, there is always at least pretty good and sometimes spectacular fishing, some of my favorite restaurants are there, folks I know there greet me like family every time they see me... what's not to love?

None of the restaurants are within easy walking distance except for the restaurant at the hotel; Blue Angel is about a mile south of town. I don't drive on Cozumel; driving is something else I am on vacation from. Nearly all the taxi experiences were positive ones; only one played the "no tengo cambio" with me and actually I think he was telling me the truth. One was a bit surly and tried to way overcharge me even though I was paying in pesos, but we got past that. The driver we hired to take us around the island was great; we have used the same guy the last three or four trips.

Last edited:
It was great meeting you too ggunn! Your mom is amazing and I enjoyed talking with her. She has a unique perspective as she has seen all the changes over 40 years.

Really hard to beat Cozumel for all the reasons ggunn has listed and Blue Angel doesn't disappoint. It's the place I will continue to return when I visit again. Every single person in our group of 32 had a fantastic time.

Great report and you just can't beat it for convenience, cost and diving that just delivers every time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom