Quick trip report & question about ADO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradsab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I originally posted this in my old thread, but I moved it here to ask a new question.

Quick Report:

Park Royal.

A very nice resort, redone after Wilma so it's like new. Impeccably clean. Decent food especially for an AI. Two of the three restaurants required reservations and wouldn't take walk-ins even though the place was almost empty. We went into town most evenings so we only ate dinner at PR twice. They nickel & dime you for stuff like $5/day to use the exercise room. We would stay there again if we got another half price deal like we did through bookit.com.

Blue Magic Scuba.

Blue Magic is a new OP recently purchased from STAFF Divers a few months ago. I initially chose them because their morning trips start later than most. As it turned out, I couldn't have been happier with an OP. Joyce, Mark & Sandro make a wonderful team. I dove with Pumbo and Sandro; both were excellent DM's. Mark happened to be there during my trip and I dove with him all of my ten dives. These are genuinely great people, and we left the island feeling like we had made life-long friends. I've been self-employed for 33 years and have seen many businesses come and go. The universal commodity is customer service, and the people at Blue Magic are doing the right things. Park Royal was located between the dive shop and the marina. They picked me up and dropped me off at my hotel each day, and took care of my gear between dives. I simply showed up with my camera and dove. Bottled water was available before, between & after dives, fresh fruit during the SI (watermelon never tasted so good!). Other than the fact some of the signage hasn't been changed (boats won't be painted until the off-season) you would never know this is a new OP. I believe they will succeed in becoming a favorite dive OP for many. Tell Joyce I sent you.

Commute.

The only unpleasant experience was getting from Cancun airport to Cozumel. The original plan was to take a cab to the ferry in Playa del Carmen. We knew the schedule was going to be tight, and then our flight into Cancun was delayed just enough that the hacks didn't think we would make the 9 PM ferry. Since the cab fare was $90 and they said we'd miss the ferry anyway, we took a $60 shuttle ($30X2). I remembered reading about the ADO bus on scubaboard, but couldn't remember where to find it. Anyway, a cab could have made it; we got to the pier just as the ferry was pulling away. Had to wait 2 hours for the 11PM. On the way back, we took the ADO for $18 ($9X2). Pay for the bus in pesos, that was the worst exchange rate we found; 180 pesos or $18.

Now, my question. If I remember correctly, we flew into terminal 3. When we returned to the airport at the end of our trip, the ADO bus dropped us off at terminal 2 and we took a free airport shuttle to terminal 3. But when we arrived in Cancun at the beginning of our trip, we made our way through customs and were immediately set upon by all the hawkers. I didn't see anything about the ADO or the shuttle to terminal 2. Does the ADO pick up at terminal 3? Is there a place to catch the airport shuttle from the arrival side of terminal 3? Maybe I just missed it, but there didn't seem to be any info at terminal 3 about the ADO bus. It wouldn't suprise me if they do that on purpose, but I don't want to get suckered again.

Looking at my pics, I can't wait to go back already. We have two other trips planned for this year, so I don't know if we can afford Cozumel again in '09, but I'll keep an eye on fares just in case. Thank you all again for helping me plan this trip. Happy bubbles.

Brad

Attachments

• IMG_1567-1.jpg
    IMG_1567-1.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1574-1.jpg
    IMG_1574-1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1611-1.jpg
    IMG_1611-1.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1619-1.jpg
    IMG_1619-1.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1624-1.jpg
    IMG_1624-1.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 064-1.jpg
    Picture 064-1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 28
When you exit Terminal 3, walk to your right. The buses are down by where the transfer vans are parked. They're in the last row.

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

Does that mean you can catch the ADO at Terminal 3? We arrived after dark, and I'm totally confused about the layout of Cancun airport, but it seems to me now that Terminal 2 is to the left of Terminal 3 as you exit. Anyone have a link to a map of it? If you exited Terminal 3 and walked to your left would you be able to hoof it to Terminal 2 and catch the ADO bus? That's what I was thinking as we took the airport shuttle from Terminal 2 to 3, but I have no idea how the arrival & departure areas are laid out. Where at the airport do you buy tickets? It appears that, by design, they don't want you taking the ADO.

I'll add my vote for Blue Magic. We dived with them all last week and certainly will again. We followed Sandro there, but the service was a nice surprise. I'll post a trip report once I'm more caught up with work.

Bradsab------in the many many times I have taken the ADO bus, I have never once paid at a ticket booth........I just start walking towards the bus area (to the right from the doors of terminal 3) and somebody always runs up to me and asks if that is where I am headed........they follow me to the bus and I pay them at the waiting area (bus driver does NOT take $$)......it's also an easy walk between terminal 2 and 3, if your bags have wheels (heck---more energy and time to load and unload into the free shuttle!).......not sure why you think that there is some sort of conspiracy for discouraging people from taking the bus.......they DO have ticket booths but I always want to just get the heck OUT of the airport, so never stop there.........pretty easy imho.
Hope that sheds some light.......Betsy

Betsy-
Yes that helps. I uploaded the only decent map of the airport I could find. As you exit the doors of Terminal 3 and walk to your right, you'd reach the hairpin drive shown on the far left of the map, is that correct? Does the ADO only pick up there, or does it drop off as well? I didn't necessarily think we were purposely discouraged from taking the ADO; I didn't see the ADO ticket booth inside the airport (you're right, with all the people bugging you, you just want to get the heck outta there), and once outside I didn't see any signs about the ADO. Only a bunch of people hawking $90 cabs and $60 shuttles.
Thanks,
Brad

Attachments

• cancun_airport_map 2.jpg
    cancun_airport_map 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 36
Betsy-
Yes that helps. I uploaded the only decent map of the airport I could find. As you exit the doors of Terminal 3 and walk to your right, you'd reach the hairpin drive shown on the far left of the map, is that correct? Does the ADO only pick up there, or does it drop off as well? I didn't necessarily think we were purposely discouraged from taking the ADO; I didn't see the ADO ticket booth inside the airport (you're right, with all the people bugging you, you just want to get the heck outta there), and once outside I didn't see any signs about the ADO. Only a bunch of people hawking $90 cabs and $60 shuttles.
Thanks,
Brad
Don't worry about the map. Walk out the door at Terminal 3 through the mob of transfer guys and head right. You'll see the area where the vans are parked. The last row is buses and you will see the ADO coaches right there. There will be someone around the buses selling tickets.

As far as I know ADO picks up and drops off at each terminal.

A polite "no, gracias" is all you need to get past the timeshare and tour hawkers and the car rental guys. If you stop and look confused they'll be all over you. There are some legit airport people in the crowd but it's tough to figure out who's who so just keep walking.

Don't worry about the map. Walk out the door at Terminal 3 through the mob of transfer guys and head right. You'll see the area where the vans are parked. The last row is buses and you will see the ADO coaches right there. There will be someone around the buses selling tickets.

As far as I know ADO picks up and drops off at each terminal.

A polite "no, gracias" is all you need to get past the timeshare and tour hawkers and the car rental guys. If you stop and look confused they'll be all over you. There are some legit airport people in the crowd but it's tough to figure out who's who so just keep walking.

Well, that was me... I stopped and looked confused. Felt like I had "SUCKER" tattooed across my forehead. When buying ADO tickets in Playa, do you have to specify Terminal 3? The bus we were on stopped at Terminal 2 and everyone got off, so I assumed that was the end of the trip. If we had stayed on the bus would it have gone on to Terminal 3?

Just out of curiosity, when was Terminal 3 built? While searching for a map, I zoomed in on Cancun Airport in Google Earth, and there's nothing but trees where Terminal 3 is now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom