Quick Hit and Run of NC Diving - Sept 11 & Spet 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSam

Sister of Shenanigans
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a quick weekend of diving in NC with Tortuga Charters in Morehead and a boatload of Dive NYers. Many thought we were crazy to drive all that way (10 - 12 hrs each way) for two days of dives knowing the chance of getting blown out. We knew before getting on the road that NC diving was worth the crap shoot.

The first car of intrepid traveler drove down Friday morning, left our buddy's house in the Bronx at about 7:30AM and arrived at the Casa at 5:30PM. Dropped by Olympus to get nitrox for my tank, did a snacks, beer and water run at the supermarket before heading to the Ruddy Duck Tavern for dinner. The second car of intrepid travelers arrived shortly after our return to the Casa from dinner.

Saturday morning we saw a double rainbow outside of the Casa as we were taking some sunrise pics so we knew it would be a great day of diving. We observed a moment of silence for all the victims of September 11th just before departing for the Papoose. She is an intact tanker which was torpedoed and sunk in 1942, sits virtually upside down at about 120 ft.

Viz was the best I've ever experienced in NC, easily 60+ ft viz, blue water, water temps at depth was 80 degrees. As I descended I could see the entire wreck (did I mention the incredible viz???) and it was teeming with baitfish and barracudas. Saw a few sand tiger sharks. Many moments when I thought I was diving in the Carribeans during that dive. The previous day, viz was 10ft on the Papoose so many boats stayed away on Saturday and we were lucky to have the wreck to ourselves.

After a two hour SI, yes, DNY enjoys eating and chatting during SI, we suited up for our next dive, this time on the Spar, a coast guard cutter that sits about 110ft. Viz was about 40 ft but OMG, sharks galore. At one point my buddy and I descended on a school of sand tiger sharks and were surrounded by them, close enough to reach out and touch them, but we did not. We simply enjoyed floating among the sand tiger sharks and the baitfish, hundreds of silver-colored baitfish. Buddy saw an eel and we saw a ray.

The boat ride to and from sites were nothing like the rockin' & pitchin' during my first trip to NC, it was smooth boating for the long run out and back from the sites. We also did not see a humpback whale breach the surface 30 times like my previous NC wreck trip but it's safe to say I'm so spoiled that all I want either a double rainbow dive days or a breaching humpback whale when I return to NC!!!! :)

Sunday morning greeted us with pouring rain and strong winds. We pushed back the boat departure until 9:30AM and attempted to reach the in-shore wreck the Indra but the seas got very rough. We passed other boats returning to shore and signaling for us to turn around. If the winds picked up any more it would have gotten very snotty so Capt called the dive and the group agreed.

I want to wish everyone who dives NC wrecks a double rainbow day of diving or if that is not possible then as close to a double rainbow day as possible.

Many thanks to Capt James, his DM Reid of Tortuga Charters for keeping DNY safe and for running a great operation. And to all my DiveNY cohorts who will chime in if they want cause I am not naming names...the authorities are still looking for a few of them, I love diving and hanging with ya. :wink:

Last edited:
Trip was short but fantastic

Good Dives
Good friends
Good Charter
Great Time

Tortuga Charters did a great job thanks Capt James

Saturday morning we saw a double rainbow...

OMG.. What does it mean!!!!!

Jk, glad you enjoyed the diving down here. I'm 0 for 4 for the trips I've planned w/ Ken on Tortuga, but hope to get out with him soon. The Papoose is a great wreck, lots of sharks and they love to pose for the camera.

I don't know what the double rainbow means, but I will take one every morning please!! Remember, Samantha was on the boat when we saw the humpback whale in May. She is just blessed with good luck.

We chose the Papoose because viz reports from friday were not good on the 352 and Spar. I tried to prep this group to expect 30' at the Papoose. There were doubly pleased with the 60' we found. Atlantis IV reported 80-90' on the Naeco 6 miles further south than us.

Ryan. please keep trying. I have some weekends in October open. :wink:

Here is my updated calendar. Charter Tortuga | tortugacharters.net

I don't know what the double rainbow means, but I will take one every morning please!! Remember, Samantha was on the boat when we saw the humpback whale in May. She is just blessed with good luck.

We chose the Papoose because viz reports from friday were not good on the 352 and Spar. I tried to prep this group to expect 30' at the Papoose. There were doubly pleased with the 60' we found. Atlantis IV reported 80-90' on the Naeco 6 miles further south than us.

Ryan. please keep trying. I have some weekends in October open. :wink:

Here is my updated calendar. Charter Tortuga | tortugacharters.net

Ken, you have to watch this video to understand my last post: :)

YouTube - Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10

I'll check your calendar and we'll get something together. I'm determined to get out on the Tortuga.

Awww, Capt. I cannot take the credit cause Mundo, Reid and you were also on the boat during trips with me so let's just chalk it up to the combination of our great karma. :D

Double rainbow when spotted in NC means a smooth boat ride to and from the site, unbelievable viz, tons of sharks and marine life!!!!!!!!!!

Ken, you have to watch this video to understand my last post: :)

YouTube - Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10
Wow, we certainly did not react as emotionally as you seem to from your video....we hooted and hollered for a bit but can understand the emotions because it's so shocking to see two rainbows.

Dive buddy Tim has the pic on his FB page, it did not come out as clearly as your video given he was using the camera on his phone.

Last edited:
Awww, Capt. I cannot take the credit cause Mundo, Reid and you were also on the boat during trips with me so let's just chalk it up to the combination of our great karma. :D

Double rainbow when spotted in NC means a smooth boat ride to and from the site, unbelievable viz, tons of sharks and marine life!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, we certainly did not react as emotionally as you seem to from your video....we hooted and hollered for a bit but can understand the emotions because it's so shocking to see two rainbows.

Dive buddy Tim has the pic on his FB page, it did not come out as clearly as your video given he was using the camera on his phone.

LOL, definitely was NOT me on that video. That thing went viral as soon as it was posted, so it's been all over the place. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

LOL, definitely was NOT me on that video. That thing went viral as soon as it was posted, so it's been all over the place. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread.
':rofl3: OMG, I thought it was you.....:rofl3:....given it's not you, can I ask....was it me or was that dude overly emotional about the double rainbow???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom