Quick Fix for Latex Drysuit Seals - Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtownsend2000

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I’m looking for some ideas as to a quick fix for my latex drysuit seals. The gauntlet-style seals are a few years old now are no longer making tight seal around my wrists (i.e. they spring a small leak when I clench my wrists). I fully intend to have the seals replaced real soon; however, I am looking for a quick fix to cover a couple of dives I have planned in the next week or so until I can send the suit our for repair. Has anyone had any luck with this? Perhaps using some kind of rubber banded material over the seals to make them tight? Preferably not duct-tape!:wink:

Cheers!
Darren

Hello Darren:

Here's one thing that you can do in the meantime.

Get a set of Si-Tech quick cuffs and a Sitech QCP glove set. What this setup allows you to do is install a temporary cuff ring on your existing latex seals. You can then use the QCP to install locking drygloves on to the temporary cuff rings. You hands will stay completely dry. The ill fitting existing seals should keep your suit inside dry even if you flex your wrists.

You can order all this thru the mail from DRIS or the like. You can install everything yourself in a few minutes without any glue or adhesive.

Don't waste your time having new wrist seals installed on the suit.

At a later date, you can have the Sitech permanent rings installed on your suit. Used in conjunction with the QCP dry gloves, you can replace the seals yourself in a couple of minutes if you ever need to. You can also use the dry gloves with the permanent ring set if you also want dry hands.

I've had reasonably good luck with the right-sized rubber band over my seals, or tying a piece of soft surgical tubing to the right length. It won't make you perfectly dry, but it will significantly decrease the leakage. I used to do that to cave dive in MX, before I got the SiTech rings and gained the ability to swap out my not-quite-so-tight, comfortable home wrist seals for the very tight ones I use in the caves.

Don't knock the duct tape. It has saved more than one dive from a ripped wrist seal for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had previously tried the dry gloves before (northern diver brand) and they worked great until they both sprung a leak at about 100' in a cold Pennsylvania quarry in January. It was a long swim back!

I only joke about the duct tape as I once heard of someone using it on their neck seal!

As Lynne said, good rubberbands or SI tech quick cuffs ( I have a set I'm selling cheap!), for a super quick on site repair I've used electrical tape more than a few times, that is before having SITech replaceable seals, sure is nice.

The problem with duct tape is that, if the seals are old and flabby and that's why they are leaking, it's extremely easy to tear them removing the tape. It's kind of a one-dive temporizing measure. The elastic bands will buy you at least a few dives.

Silicone tape? The type that sticks to itself. Walmart or hardware store? Also pull the cuff higher on the arm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom