Questions Re online Buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undersea Kat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know of a Canadian based on line Suba site for buying gear. If not does anyone have any idea regarding customs and duty regarding importing gear from the US? Any help would be great..

Depends what you are looking to buy. There are options for buying some gear from Northern Tech Diver in Ontario (awesome service!!!) and TekDiv (I think this is the right name) out of Montreal off the top of my head.

There are also the European sites which I've heard Canadians buy from without any problems (boogie711 where are you).

Good old LeisurePro ships to Canada too.

Here's the issues to consider. Freight...LeisurePro is ridiculous to Canada because of the service that they use...yikes. I have had products shipped to friends in the US and then gone to pick them up when ordering from US sources in the past.

Next issue. Duties...so far I have never been charged any duties or customs...but...all the gear I bought was made in the US and falls under the free trade agreement. Some "foreign" products may have applicable duties, best to check with the canadian government websites.

Taxes...good old GST must be added to everthing. I will have to double-check my paperwork...I don't think I had to pay PST.

I have declared all my gear purchases while crossing over the border. I don't believe it is worth it to take a chance on permanant entry refusal to save a few bucks.

Take a look at current exchange rates too. I have found that companies like Halcyon which sell on a "fair market price sheet" (everyone pays the same) may not have adjusted their pricing to reflect the current exchange rates and this can make very large differences in cost between "Canadian list" and "US list".

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom